Thread: Translation underway to include Patois in Debian

Default Translation underway to include Patois in Debian

DEBIAN, a global computer operating system, aims to add Jamaican English, or Patois, to its installer in order to widen its coverage, according to the project translator, Michelle 'Afifa' Harris.

Its the latest drive to represent the language in formal settings.

"When you read the instructions to install software, a lot of time people do not understand what it says. You just press 'Next'. So [Patois] will bring a level of basic understanding to a technical process," she told the Observer in an interview at Cafe Blue in Kingston on Thursday.

Harris, a manager and doctoral student was selected by Debian as the only Jamaican to translate starting January.
    Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...ystem_15547772

I really don't have any words for this. Not seeing the point of it.
    You guys think this is a great idea or ?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I don't think it will help but I don't think it will hurt. While I agree that it is a part of our culture since Miss Lou died we have no advocate of it and the way that society is now, it's more of an identifier of lower intelligence than anything else. Even if it's all you can do the way you do it matters. Can the persons who speak purely Patios read it? I doubt it. They can't even spell it properly. You ever see some of the foolishness they put on their cars and such? They can't spell English good much less Patios. There was one I had seen and I'm trying to remember how they had spelled the word - when I do I'll post it.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

It doesn't make much sense.

1) Patois is a verbal and informal language. People don't write in Patois since there isn't an official standard, and so when we do spellings vary.
    2) The language is always evolving based on trends, new words get made up, etc.
    3) Even if Patois IS somehow formalized, English will continue to be the first language taught in school. After all, that's what majority of countries in the world speak. patois is only spoken in a few Caribbean countries, and they're all different too.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Jamaican English and Patois are two totally different things. I'd hate to see how the Jamaican Patois is translated.

If yuh reddy fi cantinue, press de buttn deh so mark 'NEXT'
    Last edited by ramesh; Dec 2, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Hmmm, can't really see the point other than a means of cultural promotion...but ok.

igodit Guest

Dumbest thing I have ever heard

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    I really don't have any words for this. Not seeing the point of it.
    You guys think this is a great idea or ?
    That's linux for you. If it can be done. It will be.

Not to bash anybody, but many of who use Patois (not even a language becuase it cannot be standardised), can't even read properly, let alone read Patois - waste of time!!! People want to feel special and want to say yes, they got Patois into Debian but damn, thats a waste of time.

Can somebody tell me how you spell 'no' in Patois? I am sure I will get at least 3 ways,

The Patois language file has to be bulkier than Traditional Chinese and Navajo - lol, nuh have a damn thing fih do wid dem time a baxcuvvah!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynqu2 View Post
    People want to feel special and want to say yes, they got Patois into Debian but damn, thats a waste of time....
    Feeling "special" releases "feel good" chemistry in the brain used to enhance health and well-being (or so they say).

So now you propose to deny someone else that pleasure as well as deny Jamaicans an obscure little spot in linux.

You are indeed a cruel person

Patois in Debian is unnecessary. Dem ppl ya nuh have nuttn betta fi do?
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2