Thread: DFU Mode w/o Power Button

Default DFU Mode w/o Power Button

Hi All,

Seeking some help. I have an iPhone 3G which is my guinea pig for my experiments. The power button does not work and i have an issue when i'm jailbreaking and am required to place the phone in DFU mode.

I'm aware of the many tutorials and youtube vids instructing how to do this. The phone currently has ios 4.2.1 installed and is carrier locked. I want to jailbreak so i can hacktivate it but like i said i have no power button.

I used redsn0w to create a ipsw file from the original 4.2.1 firmware which would throw the phone into DFU mode, but because i'm carrier locked i cannot get itunes to restore the phone using this custom firmware.

I tried a program called blackra1n, but each time the program is launched i'm getting an error that windows cannot find the ASL.dll file. I've tried the tutorials to correct this by copying the exe file into Apple Applications Support folder in the C: drive, however this didn't work.

I read that using a program called black-breeze can fix blackra1n but every single tutorial/ video i come upon has an expired/ non-working link to the program and i cannot find it anywhere... (uvrx.com, pirate bay etc.)

Can anyone help me out here. Maybe there's a program i'm unaware of.

Thanks in advance.

I just realized that what i needed was to place the phone into recovery mode first. I read up on recboot to help me do this.

Sorry about the long post. I'm still a n00b to all this

You will need to have SHSH for the phone. If you don't have any you'll have to check in Cydia if there's any available. You'll need a specific version of iTunes (don't recall, but it's an older version) and TinyUmbrella. Once you run TU and start the server from it then you can run iTunes to do the restore using the custom IPSW.

redsn0w also has a feature to load an IPSW so try that as well. It's in the EXTRAS section of the application.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".