Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review: Cheaper Laptops Full of Features

Quote Originally Posted by technoboy
    Keep it in mind that some of those cheaper laptops from Dell may not be hip. Meaning, some of their cheap laptops are fitted with Celeron rather than say Centrino processors. That may account for the price.
    They do carry the Intel Celeron when it's that cheap. Two reasons tho why Dell can lower their prices:

1) They now only sell via the net or phone (cut out the middle man)
    2) All support is out source to India...cheaper labour.

i read somewhere that sub $1000 notebooks only comprise a very small sector of the market hence no real reason for manufacturers to venture down the budget road

digimon Guest

Default true

Quote Originally Posted by technoboy
    Keep it in mind that some of those cheaper laptops from Dell may not be hip. Meaning, some of their cheap laptops are fitted with Celeron rather than say Centrino processors. That may account for the price.
    those laptops are mainly for peeps who just wanna have a laptop to check email or type up Word Documents

digimon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqMale
    i read somewhere that sub $1000 notebooks only comprise a very small sector of the market hence no real reason for manufacturers to venture down the budget road
    while that may be true, i spent just above that ($1300) for mine ($1200 without the 1 yr extended damage warranty)

Hmm well i guess I'm one of the suckers!! Just got a Dell 2200 with 768 MB RAM. I mean it's no the deep end wrt specs but it can do more than email and type Word docs I assure you, especially as it comes wth a 8X DVD+/- RW drive! It's pretty Ok for authoring DVD video too. I think the biggest fault in these cheaper models are the Celeron PU (which was quite adequate a little while back) and the shared memory (esp video). Otherwise they're quite decent!
    "God always answers in the deeps, never in the shallows of our soul." --Anonymous