Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local expertise

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Its because posing is fun. So you kind of want a think-tank?
    Somewhat, but unlike the previous think-tanks with which I am barely familiar, we could have a more immediate interaction and online community instead of just forums and email. Lots of us use instant messaging all the time. WebRTC is here. Things could be made even more interesting. See https://vline.com and https://appear.in

I don't make games for living but I understand what you are saying. You want to actually have home grown projects and expertise that is localized enough that we have some control over it. Nothing like say a facebook group which is really just a marketing tool for its creators but like a knowledge base that people can interact with.

Its going to be tricky to get people who so many different genres is one place without polluting the initial objective or it getting flood with random airheads. I have thought about it before but I never could conceive a data structure that could accommodate so many varying personalities and opinions.

Facebook is a success because it discourages dislikes and allows each person to have their own personal narcissistic kingdom. You might want to look into that first - it might give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Somewhat, but unlike the previous think-tanks with which I am barely familiar, we could have a more immediate interaction and online community instead of just forums and email. Lots of us use instant messaging all the time. WebRTC is here. Things could be made even more interesting. See https://vline.com and https://appear.in
    You could just do this organically.
    Start a project.
    Blog it.
    Evolve it.
    You will eventually find like-minded explorers to grow with.

Better than trying to corral a bunch of "Bling Bling" posers (much like myself) into a cohesive group. A futile effort at best.

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    You could just do this organically.
    Start a project.
    Blog it.
    Evolve it.
    You will eventually find like-minded explorers to grow with.

Better than trying to corral a bunch of "Bling Bling" posers (much like myself) into a cohesive group. A futile effort at best.
    Working on something to that effect right now. Just trying to generalize it so it can be forked however.

I don't make games for living but I understand what you are saying. You want to actually have home grown projects and expertise that is localized enough that we have some control over it. Nothing like say a facebook group which is really just a marketing tool for its creators but like a knowledge base that people can interact with.

Its going to be tricky to get people who so many different genres is one place without polluting the initial objective or it getting flood with random airheads. I have thought about it before but I never could conceive a data structure that could accommodate so many varying personalities and opinions.

Facebook is a success because it discourages dislikes and allows each person to have their own personal narcissistic kingdom. You might want to look into that first - it might give you some ideas.
    How did you settle on that observation? I thought it was more like people are just prying, the world over. Zuckerberg wanted a world where everyone aired their dirty laundry out in the open; no skeleton in closets. So, I was thinking it was not a kingdom thing. It was more of a supremacy thing ("I am better than you" syndrome).

Rubbish!

Facebook is a success because of LUCK. It is/was a clone of existing tech and became popular for *INSERT WHATEVER REASON HERE*.

RANT ahead:

Just build something and try to make it open for other thought processes. Blog about it. The world will determine it's place when the world is good and ready.

'xample:
    Electric cars were the first on the scene but world decided to let "for profit" mentality determine the agenda so now we have expensive gas powered crap. Clearly the world wasn't ready for common sense then and we are paying that price now.
    Healthcare is a business: 'nuff said.
    Last edited by datdread; Apr 4, 2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: 'cause I can n ****

I nuked my $HOME by accident... I lost all my documentation and ideas and right between backups. It is Btrfs, so recovery should have been possible. BUT! I had compression on which resulted in a rare bug that made everything irrecoverable ... excuses, excuses aside:

Presently, I am trying to setup a snapshotting routine (on this system with a HDD that is now at 105 bad sectors and gaining 1 every week); learning about mob theory for git hosting which will be very handy for us here. http://repo.or.cz/ ; Learning systemd because Arch Linux is migrating from cronie and other daemons; plain work; learning mesh networking and the like (for a village project I am brainstorming); etc...

Think we could go through old posts and dig up unsolved problems from the various topics? Maybe publish articles and code with (probable) solutions? That should officially make us a think tank, no?

Also, what is the deal with Jamaica's new infosec taskforce? Any news on it? Should this thread be moved to General or somewhere?

I think going through old threads would be too boring. Plus the old threads are probably solved or pointless. What infosec taskforce?

I think going through old threads would be too boring. Plus the old threads are probably solved or pointless. What infosec taskforce?
    Someone had circulated a questionnaire about 2 years ago, on how the government should go about managing private information. During that time, there was some news about a cybercrimes task force being implemented and training being done in cyber-policing. I haven't heard anything since the commotion locally about information misuse by telecom companies. Everybody jumped on this Snowden&&Kamkar affair and forgot to pay attention to what was going on at home (as usual). I am going to research it a bit and post what I find.

Everybody is looking for an airplane now, will get back to Snowden later.

http://www.digjamaica.com/cybercrimes/ . It's so long ago already! I am missing time... Well, that article have more on it than anything else so far.