Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing comes to Jamaica

Default 3D printing comes to Jamaica

It's now possible to print your food, some body parts, and even weaponry as innovators test the limits of 3D printing technology.

The concept has now reached Jamaica, courtesy of Pear Tree Press Limited, which has been operating its own small desktop 3D printer since last year, though it is yet to generate any firm orders.

And at least one other Jamaican company is considering investing in the fast-developing technology.

3D printers can be used to produce a very wide range of objects - from the replication of human body parts to the creation of car parts and even a working gun.
    Read more: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business1.html
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Mar 16, 2014 at 02:26 PM.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

pretty gud piece of tech.... even a working gun? that last part in the wrong hands could be worrysome.
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    pretty gud piece of tech.... even a working gun? that last part in the wrong hands could be worrysome.
    True dat, especially you can change the material from plastic to something metallic based or fibreglass... #cheaperguns
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Can I use this printer to print other printers? That'd give me a small army of printers in no time. This thing could easily take on a life of it's own...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Can I use this printer to print other printers? That'd give me a small army of printers in no time. This thing could easily take on a life of it's own...
    Lol your over thinking that one Skele. It can print the parts to make the printer yes, but you would still have to assemble it.

Bwaay, they just had to mention that it can make guns eeh?

Might as well mention it can make bullets too so crime can start increasing in JA again.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    You don't honestly believe that a cheapo, low spec rapid proto err, I mean 3D printer like the one in that picture can print anything that can handle the pressure and heat of a gun barrel? Look at the extruder. The strongest thing that is going to make is a Ting bottle.

People - haven;t we had enough nerd fads in our lifetimes? Remember when Ubuntu was going to beat down Windows? Remember Synthetic Biology? Remember Arduinos changing the face of electronics?

People -its time to come to reality. These nerd fads aren't going to take us (ie. citizens of the Third World) anywhere. Foolishness like the above, bitcoins, and grid level renewable power have no place in a country whose situation is as desperate as ours. What we need are effective solutions, not toys to play with. Time make useful stuff. And don't believe the hype.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    People - haven;t we had enough nerd fads in our lifetimes? Remember when Ubuntu was going to beat down Windows? Remember Synthetic Biology? Remember Arduinos changing the face of electronics? What we need are effective solutions, not toys to play with. Time make useful stuff. And don't believe the hype.
    Kids! Don't listen to this ignorant old fart!

Effective solutions come through need not greed. I say more toys more play yields more innovations. Status quo is stagnation and Jamaica is stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    People - haven;t we had enough nerd fads in our lifetimes? Remember when Ubuntu was going to beat down Windows? Remember Synthetic Biology? Remember Arduinos changing the face of electronics?
    Nerd fads are a way of life. lol. Print your food, lol. This article reads like every 3d printing article ever written - its like they have a template they use to write these articles.

Most highend 3d printers are MASSIVE; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynmYU4vyvDM

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Nerd fads are a way of life. lol. Print your food, lol. This article reads like every 3d printing article ever written - its like they have a template they use to write these articles.

Most highend 3d printers are MASSIVE; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynmYU4vyvDM
    When publishing for profit you get carefully crafted repetition and redundancy.

3d printed food is happening:
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...lates-to-pizza

So are 3d printed houses
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/29/55...w-in-amsterdam

Despite the many contributions nerd culture offer to industry. You "jocks" still feel the need to torment them.

These cheapo devices are for prototyping and entry level learning.
    Last edited by datdread; Mar 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM.

I don't know, I would not have written the article like that, just the way it start out screamed "ignorance" and "hype machine". I guess whatever sells papers.