Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Elementary OS

Default Linux Elementary OS

Hey Guys,

I've always been intrigued by Linux OS, but just never found the time to delve too deeply. Then a few christmases ago, I accidentally erased my life story off my computer loading Linux (that b**** erased my hard disk). So... I quit that adventure.

Just actually heard about the Elementary OS, and it seems awesome. Gonna load it unto a Atom based Netbook and test it. Anyone else using the OS, can you share some tips, tricks and reviews.
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Tested ElemOS briefly as an alternative it to lubuntu. Needed it to run on an old system using 512megs.
    I found the extra polish applied to the UI to be a very pleasant experience.
    Still a bit more resource intensive than I wanted so I stuck with what I had.

You will find that every distribution has its quirks and knobs that differentiates it. It is no longer a must that just because the kernel is Linux all applications for Linux is compatible across distributions. Whatever distribution you choose, make it a decision on what purpose it is for, how future-proof you want it to be, and the range of packages that suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallizzle View Post
    Hey Guys,

I've always been intrigued by Linux OS, but just never found the time to delve too deeply. Then a few christmases ago, I accidentally erased my life story off my computer loading Linux (that b**** erased my hard disk). So... I quit that adventure.
    Formatting a hard drive tends to do that. Did you read the installation instructions before starting the installation?

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Formatting a hard drive tends to do that. Did you read the installation instructions before starting the installation?
    I did read the installation, I guess I never understood it clearly because I was distracted at the time. I take the blame on that one. Just pissed because I had killed my 2TB external storage like a week ago, and then lost the remainder of my content.
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Ouch! That sucks. I back up my files on one of those usb sticks. They have some serious capacity these days.

I would recommend creating a virtual machine for testing out new operating systems.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I think I might actually give this OS a shot. I am no longer gaming on the PC and I have a pretty decent spec'd rig. I ran it form my usb last night and seems ok.
    Phone: Nexus 4 | [ALL STOCK] | Powered by Digicel
    System: Asus Maximus V Gene | Core I5 3570K | CM Hyper 212 | 3x 4GB 1866MHz | GTX 670 FTW | Crucial M4 256 and WD Caviar Black 1TB & 640 GB | Asus 24x DVD RW | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair HX650

Get a big usb stick and run your distro from that. I find it more convenient that installing it on a harddrive. you can take it with you where ever you go

It may be a good idea for us to incorporate something like git-annex in our backup routines.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Get a big usb stick and run your distro from that. I find it more convenient that installing it on a hard drive. you can take it with you where ever you go
    That's exactly what i do to test the many distro's out there; then I install the ones that appeal to me.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?