Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Finder [Local JA App]

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    The problem with this approach is that very few actually like to "submit" or enter data for the benefit of everyone else. Even the official Fuel Finder app, had outdated prices (by about a month) when I checked nearby petrol stations in real-time.

Yea. I know. That's kinda the point. Both concepts depend on the same thing.

Idea is dead? I didn't even get to download and test..........
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Idea is dead?
    I can't speak for this specific application. The IDEA is doable I think

The problem is the government, in the states its mandated that the petrol prices are posted to a database once updated this database is then accessible to developers. The Government of Jamaica have to implement these policies before stuff like this can work. There is so much data that the goverment monopolize that can be use by entrepranures, that can better jamaica we as a country just backward believe me.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Quote Originally Posted by VRTECJA View Post
    The problem is the government, in the states its mandated that the petrol prices are posted to a database once updated this database is then accessible to developers. The Government of Jamaica have to implement these policies before stuff like this can work. There is so much data that the goverment monopolize that can be use by entrepranures, that can better jamaica we as a country just backward believe me.
    Private institution would be more inclined to resist anything that adversely affects profits. Having the public game the pricing mechanics may be frowned upon.

That said.

One could organize a private, informal team of friends and co-workers to participate in posting that data to social media for harvesting.

Chances are your associates share the same traffic routes of interest. As a result the data posted by you and your associates would be relevant.

You may also have an associate who is adept at manipulating data with code. He/She could harvest and assemble that data into something presentable.

If the program does work and money can be saved, an incentive program could be implemented as participation incentive.

All I'm saying is: If you find this concept useful, but the app doesn't materialize, there are still options to help streamline that expense.

edit: I would also keep that data private. You may not want businesses to gamie you.
    Last edited by datdread; Aug 11, 2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    Private institution would be more inclined to resist anything that adversely affects profits. Having the public game the pricing mechanics may be frowned upon.

That said.

One could organize a private, informal team of friends and co-workers to participate in posting that data to social media for harvesting.

Chances are your associates share the same traffic routes of interest. As a result the data posted by you and your associates would be relevant.

You may also have an associate who is adept at manipulating data with code. He/She could harvest and assemble that data into something presentable.

If the program does work and money can be saved, an incentive program could be implemented as participation incentive.

All I'm saying is: If you find this concept useful, but the app doesn't materialize, there are still options to help streamline that expense.

edit: I would also keep that data private. You may not want businesses to gamie you.
    Will never work it has to become low under some consumer protectection act where petrol companies are fined if they dont post their prices.
    Remember to take a look at http://www.google.com/mapmaker

Quote Originally Posted by VRTECJA View Post
    Will never work it has to become low under some consumer protectection act where petrol companies are fined if they dont post their prices.
    I can't argue with the need for consumer protection.

I can see legal implementation. I don't see enforcement though.

Petrol companies represent one of the many private institutions that direct the public narrative through the government. If a law does materialize, chances are it will be watered down and not very useful. Implementing and enforcing new laws could also end up being more expensive tax wise than directly manipulating your buying power.

check this site out - not sure how often it updates - but looks current

https://www.calljaa.com/fuel-prices/
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Thanks. This will be useful
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread