Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Finder [Local JA App]

@trueguidance... Yeah I don't know but it seems the mods combined my series of posts on Saturday and it all now looks like a bunch of mess but you got my points and that's great. I was so enthused that Saturday when I drove out on Saturday I snapped pics of all my local gas stations prices (for those who had them, which is surprising how many don't). When I got home I punched in the prices for all of them so now my city is all perty with prices... While using the app again to accomplish this, I thought of a few more things which I'd like to share if you don't mind. I can't help it I'm a developer... and I love a functional and feature rich user experiences. So here goes:

1. Putting the date of the last update (timestamp and/or date) for a given gas station's prices. This is currently available in the trending/historical data, but is not very intuitive. I wanna see it onscreen before I head out. Confidence that the data is certified 'fresh'! No last year prices
    2. Prices should expire after a month or so if they're not updated much to my previous point to ensure a certain level of accuracy. Prices are no good if they're old. People need accurate data to make correct decisions if that's what the app's about (mostly anyways)
    3. Why stop at mobile app? Why not create a web app that offers similar features? That way we could update both via the webpage or app. View/Search webpage or app. Increases the community for those who do not own an android device - the ultimate cross platform experience!
    4. This one's a bit out there (but I'm sure there's an API out there somewhere to accomplish this so don't limit yourselves, I believe in you ). The prices are usually stacked in a particular order i.e. regular then premium then diesel (I've observed and all boards are setup in that particular standard as far as I see anyways) . What if we were able to take a pic of that price board and the image was then analyzed by the app, text interpreted and pulled and the GPS location captured and the app would auto-update (obviously after a bit of confirmation of your prices gas station etc etc.)... So easy! I would definitely do that every time. Especially if there were other persons in the car #showoff
    Last edited by Wallizzle; Feb 19, 2014 at 02:40 AM.
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Quote Originally Posted by Wallizzle View Post
    @trueguidance... Yeah I don't know but it seems the mods combined my series of posts on Saturday and it all now looks like a bunch of mess
    Feel free to edit it for clarity. We frown on double posting here.
    http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...270#post347270
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Feel free to edit it for clarity. We frown on double posting here.
    http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...270#post347270
    Question: Why are mods "summarizing" posts? I understand the need to censor unwanted topics but this summary thing doesn't make any sense.

It breaks the conversation flow and is subject to misinterpretation.

Please stop doing that.

I echo your sentiments datdreat. No disrespect but you can get a bit anal AA... generally. I feel like you over doing it sometimes. It really wasn't that serious IMO. But hey it's your website, your rules... I abide

@trueguidance - Oh yeah by the way there are duplicate gas stations here in my side of the world... e.g. I'll see a Texaco for fairview and then I'll see a 'gas station' at fairview is there any way to consolidate the two?

P.S. this is not a double post, it's a totally different point and part of conversation altogether. Thanks
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Feb 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Merged multiple posts. You're missing the whole point of this.
    Owned:

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    Question: Why are mods "summarizing" posts? I understand the need to censor unwanted topics but this summary thing doesn't make any sense.

It breaks the conversation flow and is subject to misinterpretation.

Please stop doing that.
    lol you're new to the site. Take a look at the rules and be familiar with them. I already posted a linked in my previous post that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallizzle View Post
    I echo your sentiments datdreat. No disrespect but you can get a bit anal AA... generally. I feel like you over doing it sometimes. It really wasn't that serious IMO. But hey it's your website, your rules... I abide
    You're new to the site. Double posting is frowned upon here. Members don't like it. Mods don't like it. We all don't like it.

Post your thoughts in 1 reply. If you need to add something more, click the Edit Post button. Not the Reply button.

If you have any more questions/concerns, PM me or start a thread in the Suggestions forum. Lets get back to topic in this thread.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Back on topic:-

I'm waiting for the web app. Once this is done then it'll make things much easier for all platforms provided it has the same functionality. Will be testing it out and see how well it works.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Feb 19, 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: copied post to relevant thread and removed off-topic discussion.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Any word on the web app bro? The threads going cold!
    Owned:

HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

The app no longer seems to be available anymore
    Y'know, a useful alternative could be assembled on the interim.

Hear me out.

Could use available social networks for crowd sourced data. Like twitter is pretty open and also provides an api to it's data.

An agreed upon hashtag or assortment of hashtags like #jawhateverprice accompanied by a decent snapshot of the value and it's geo location would suffice as indexed data.

From that point on anyone "code capable" and or interested could harvest that data and process it for presentation.

Or

Simply use the social search filters and find current posted values.

May not be as sophisticated but could be useful.

Would depend heavily on "crowd sourcing" though which this app also depends on.

The problem with this approach is that very few actually like to "submit" or enter data for the benefit of everyone else. Even the official Fuel Finder app, had outdated prices (by about a month) when I checked nearby petrol stations in real-time.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread