Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Finder [Local JA App]

Cool Fuel Finder [Local JA App]

New awesome app on the market, will greatly assist many of Jamaicans

Fuel Finder is a community of drivers assisting each other to find the lowest gas prices available. A must have application for all drivers.

Fuel Finder, at its core is a community of drivers assisting other drivers to find the lowest gas prices. The app provides other functionalities such as allowing the user to discover stations closest to them or search for stations with amenities of interest (e.g. shop, air pump, tyre services, etc.)
    Fuel Finder uses a crowd sourcing methodology, allowing drivers and other consumers of fuel to report the prices being paid at pumps all over Jamaica. The use of crowd sourcing gives Fuel Finder the ability to provide the most up-to-date prices

Features
    1. Know the actual prices of gas before you get to the pump
    2. Search for gas stations you already know
    3. Discover new gas stations
    4. Filter gas stations to the lowest priced or closest in proximity
    5. Save your favourite gas stations for quick access
    6. Use map feature to locate gas stations or get driving directions
    7. View price statistics to analyse trends
    8. Share prices with family and friends

The aim of Fuel Finder is to allow drivers to discover gas stations and their current prices. With the introduction of Fuel Finder, drivers will be more informed about what is available and by extension get more value for their money at the pumps.

Check out the app in the Play Store HERE

NOTEBOOK: Acer V3-771G - Core i5 3.1Ghz + Nvidia Geforce GT630M
    PMP: Cowon J3 (16GB|Jet Effect 3.0) + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 = <AUDIOGASM>
    SMARTPHONE: Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - Rooted + UltimaROM
    DUMBPHONE: Blackberry 9000

nice app will come in handy
    SMART PHONE: Note 2 (N7100) [B] Ps all Pics are taken with the phone in my sig.....

nice - it takes from the idea of GasBuddy which i use in the US to find gas prices

Awesome, pity it requires android 4.1 and up, oh well

jomo Guest

Take it from a car head like me, cheap gas is cheap for a reason

None of that rubbish goes in my machines

The fuga gets straight v power, with ethanol treatment of course, the impreza is happy with v power texaco 90 or total on rare occasions and only CERTAIN gas stations I trust

The crap DOWNTOWN is cheap for reasons I'd rather not state (87 being sold as 90 watered down gas tiefin gas diluted gas old gas etc)

Must I say more?

Go cheap on the gas makes no sense as a) it will burn out quicker b) damage sensors oil and even rings etc c) support corruption and downright rubbish

This is a nice app. No port for iOS or BB?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Did it have to be 4.1 and up? Won't install on my HTC One X...
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Haha... great wish! sell the BB!

But I agree with the other dude... I stick to the good stuff, from reputable locations. It's safer that way. But imma try the app though... I like the idea. Not sure J'cans are going to update it though, we aren't that helpful a ppl. I for one know, I'm never gonna pop my phone out and log gas prices... phhh!

So I just downloaded and I had to scroll all the way to #58 closest gas station before I saw prices. It's gonna require a very large committed community of users to update this app. I don't even check the gas prices anymore, why bother? What's the savings gonna be like anyway when you have to drive all the way across town in traffic? Pennywise? Great concept, but this one isn't for me.

While I was sitting here fiddling with the app and updating a few service stations with features I know they have like ATMs, air pumps etc... I realized that this app can be such a nifty little tool especially for travelers. Then it hit me, Why not market it to the the service stations to have them update their prices on a daily (or weekly basis, or simply as their prices change) it's that easy to do anyways or we could set up an RSS feed, they plug in the prices on their end the gadget updates once per day, voila! auto-pilot! The service stations could be ranked by town or by parish, or even entire Jamaica and they could even compete with prices per locale. On that basis, I'm sure the service stations would comply and even they could also keep an eye on the competition's doing and match prices etc... In the end, we the consumers would win all around... WIN, WIN & WIN!!! brilliant stuff this app! I think I might like where this is going (or could go)
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Feb 15, 2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Awesome, pity it requires android 4.1 and up, oh well
    We wanted to start from 4.0.3 but there in an issue in Samsung devices running 4.0.3 that prevented us from releasing with support for it. We plan to revisit this as soon as things calms down. In the mean time we are working on a web app version that will scale nicely for phones as well, so Fuel Finder will soon be accessible by any device.

Follow us:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Google+

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Take it from a car head like me, cheap gas is cheap for a reason

None of that rubbish goes in my machines

The fuga gets straight v power, with ethanol treatment of course, the impreza is happy with v power texaco 90 or total on rare occasions and only CERTAIN gas stations I trust

The crap DOWNTOWN is cheap for reasons I'd rather not state (87 being sold as 90 watered down gas tiefin gas diluted gas old gas etc)

Must I say more?

Go cheap on the gas makes no sense as a) it will burn out quicker b) damage sensors oil and even rings etc c) support corruption and downright rubbish
    Fuel Finder has more uses than finding cheap gas. I'll give you two other use cases:
    1.You only buy gas from Texaco and you are in unfamiliar area; You can use the Refine feature to display all the Texacos close to you, from which you can get driving directions
    2. You are interested in the new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel but not sure of the gas stations that has the new type. Using search feature you can search for "Ultra Low" (search term is wildcarded so dont need to type the entire name) and this will show only gas stations with only Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.

Those are just two other current features and we are working on making this more useful for more people. Of course its a community app so its as good as the data provided by the members of the community, We are also looking on ways to drive engagement.

Follow us:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Google+

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Did it have to be 4.1 and up? Won't install on my HTC One X...
    We apologise for this . We wanted to support lower version Android but was faced with a blocked. We are looking to create a web version (that will scale nicely for mobile) in the near future. More information will be available via our social channels.

Follow us:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Google+

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    No port but working on a Web/Mobile version that will provide the same functionality as the Android version of both desktop and other mobile OS platforms. My information will be posted on our social channels.

Follow us:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Google+
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Feb 18, 2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts

Thank you for the feedback Wallizzle, we really appreciate it. Will add comments from different sections of your post below.

I stick to the good stuff, from reputable locations
    - Fuel Finder can be used for this as well, doesnt have to be about finding the cheapest gas (see earlier post).

I like the idea. Not sure J'cans are going to update it though, we aren't that helpful a ppl. I for one know, I'm never gonna pop my phone out and log gas prices... phhh!
    - We are aware of this, and personally (as Garfield Coke, not as Fuel Finder) I hate this about our culture and hope that the kinda relationship drivers share with each other where they wouldn't leave another driver stranded when they can help, can be applied to the app as well; So I hope drivers will share prices to help another driver, could be family, friends or total strangers who know, but that person may help you tomorrow to find a gas station you like or buy gas at.

(As Fuel Finder) we know this will be an issue and we are working on ways to drive engagement.

So I just downloaded and I had to scroll all the way to #58 closest gas station before I saw prices. It's gonna require a very large committed community of users to update this app. I don't even check the gas prices anymore, why bother? What's the savings gonna be like anyway when you have to drive all the way across town in traffic? Pennywise? Great concept, but this one isn't for me.
    As highlighted above, there are many use cases for Fuel Finder, know prices at gas station and finding the cheapest is just two. But we do agree, its gonna take a committed community to make the app even more useful. PS. Thanks for downloading

While I was sitting here fiddling with the app and updating a few service stations with features I know they have like ATMs, air pumps etc... I realized that this app can be such a nifty little tool especially for travelers.
    We are excited that you were able to discover other features of Fuel Finder, one of our goal is to have users aware or discover these as quickly as possible.

Then it hit me, Why not market it to the the service stations to have them update their prices on a daily (or weekly basis, or simply as their prices change) it's that easy to do anyways or we could set up an RSS feed, they plug in the prices on their end the gadget updates once per day, voila! auto-pilot!
    I was contacted by another developer who tried the same thing in the past and he told me that the Service Stations are not willing to come on board for a number of reasons but one of the main reason is because they dont want their competitors to be able to easily see there prices .

We believe the crowd source model can work, we just need to show users all the different uses and keep them engaged.

The service stations could be ranked by town or by parish, or even entire Jamaica and they could even compete with prices per locale.
    This is a great idea and we will add to the feature request, thank you.

On that basis, I'm sure the service stations would comply and even they could also keep an eye on the competition's doing and match prices etc... In the end, we the consumers would win all around... WIN, WIN & WIN!!!
    For the service stations, I think its JUST business for them and they're not trying to make the gas industry in Jamaica a win for consumers. We hope Fuel Finder and its crowd sourced model can change this.

brilliant stuff this app! I think I might like where this is going (or could go)
    Thank you, through your series of post we are excited to see how much the app has grown on you . We are working hard on adding more functionality to the app for all users. We will be providing more details via our social channels:

Twitter
    Facebook
    Google+