Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper thin antennas performance in Ja?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    In deed. On a side note, some people might not recall that the broadcast commission is pushing for digital switchover for both radio and TV by 2015. I suspect however the deadline might be extended.
    You know that is a pipe dream. 2015 is next year and I'm sure neither Stations have even started researching equipment. lol Unless their plan is to keep their digital system upgrade secret to gain a competitive edge which is what I think either CVM/TVJ will do if they plan to meet the 2015 date.

Otherwise it's going to be delay, delay, delay
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

Quote Originally Posted by jahman182 View Post
    You know that is a pipe dream.
    Nothing wrong with a "pipe dream". Good for soul and helps motivate. Nahhhh son. We need to just go around them and start building short video programmings for the web. Maybe gain some startups here.

In the meantime and if you can afford it. Give the "skinny antennie" a try and maybe a blog or two. We support the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    Nothing wrong with a "pipe dream". Good for soul and helps motivate. Nahhhh son. We need to just go around them and start building short video programmings for the web. Maybe gain some startups here.
    Agree with you 110%. Provide our own locally produced HD programming via the internet. Shouldn't be too hard to do in our case. As a matter of fact did you know Netflix provides the facility where you can use their service to create a private channel free or paid and you provide the content to stream 24/7. Skips having to re-invent the wheel.

Anyhow this is going off topic "we were talking about skinny digital antennas" I would suggest that DarkAngel purchase the antenna and test it out and report back to us on the results.

@datdread if you want we can open a thread to discuss the above further. Lemme know!!!!
    Last edited by jahman182; Feb 21, 2014 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by datdread View Post
    Too little too late methinks. This would only benefit the future generation.

'an those ****** don't do TV. They do ************* Youtube.

I think the best investment would be:

Improve Broadband infrastructure and flood the market with cheap web enabled smart devices (androids cough cough). Get every "country come to town ******" online and participating in jamaicas web-commerce.

Then...

Since we love our TVJ and CVM:
    Crowdfund some dollars ( or food. Jamaicans like to refer to money as food ), solicit some free tech support (we like free) and help carry these aged broadcast behemoths into the future 'cause I'm pretty sure them ****** ain't budgeted for the change.

..or you could save some money. 'an stick with them ears.
    If I could choose a best response in history on the forum this would be it. Well ******* said!! But it is true, there is so much more equity in developing a platform for the future beyond OTA tv? I couldn't tell you a single ****** program that airs on local TV!

But I could certainly use a better broadband connection while I'm out in the country visiting my parents to watch whatever the hell I want! Even free local tv on the internet... In HD! Additionally how much more would it cost the TV stations to go internet (free) vs upgrading their platforms to support digital OTA?
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Firstly OTA is free and secondly the internet infrastructure costs money. Wait since when internet free?

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    Firstly OTA is free and secondly the internet infrastructure costs money. Wait since when internet free?
    Very true and artificially so. Hence the rationale to start anew.
    WE the public may eventually end up subsidizing TVJ and CVM through tax incentives if we want to keep them.
    Unless foreign interests buy them out. Like what is happening all over Jamaica. I honestly don't think they are budgeted for the future. Barely budgeted for the present

I have a skinny indoor HD antennae that I tested a number of years ago. It has the vertical cross design on top.
    The reception was not impressive. Note though that I did not spend a whole lot of time with creative placement.
    Last edited by datdread; Feb 25, 2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: 'cause It's highly recommended to do so.

The advertising revenue pool is limited and have to shared between all the players so there is no incentive to improve upon the services they already provide. Most every thing TVJ and CVM have in their programming schedule is Standard Definition so as long as SD content is available thats what Jamaica's viewing audience will get.

Flow is somewhat better but there is limited availability of HD content at most nodes because it costs money to extend these services into areas where its not financially viable so I imagine HD won't be available anytime soon in most of these areas.

OTA digital would be the most feasible and far reaching and all viewers would need is a digital antenna to receive better TV reception even with tube TV; but will TVJ/CVM spend the money and make a move anytime soon?? Me thinks Naaaaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by jahman182 View Post
    OTA digital would be the most feasible and far reaching and all
    Stuff going on behind the scene:

Broadcasting internet via abandoned analog tv signal: http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...internet-ether
    Or
    Power Lines: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bpl.htm

I believe we can subsidize broadband internet service and offer it for free to everyone.
    I do not believe the Industry as it is structured today will allow that to happen.
    Last edited by datdread; Feb 26, 2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: because

@datdread

Stuff going on behind the scene: Wouldn't call it behind the scenes, its a long time vision now being realized; driven by the need for broadband internet services.
    I believe we can subsidize broadband internet service and offer it for free to everyone. Not going to happen
    I do not believe the Industry as it is structured today will allow that to happen. You have got that one right

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    In deed. On a side note, some people might not recall that the broadcast commission is pushing for digital switchover for both radio and TV by 2015. I suspect however the deadline might be extended.
    I agree that they might be late implimenting this. With regards to your antennae, I think you can find schematics and instructions for building your own instead of purchasing online.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...tal-tv-antenna
    http://lifehacker.com/5138746/build-...wn-dtv-antenna
    http://www.diytvantennas.com/
    http://lifehacker.com/5919128/build-...ful-hd-antenna
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2