Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper thin antennas performance in Ja?

Default Paper thin antennas performance in Ja?

I want to dump the rabbit ears antenna I am currently using with my HD TV and purchase one of those indoor paper thin antenna, I want to get some feedback first on how well they perform locally with analog OTA broadcast from TVJ and CVM. Most of the reviews I see online focus on their amazing reception of HD OTA broadcast.
    Don't want to spend too much, so Im looking into getting the budget AmazonBasic Version: Ultra thin HD Antenna

Bump, any feedback yet? Thought some of you would have some of these high end antennas for your HD tvs. I'm curious, what type of antenna do you people use to get your OTA broadcast?

Most of us just have a wire that runs along the wall. You are talk about tvj/cvm right? yeah, reception is dependant on your location. Some people don't even have antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    Bump, any feedback yet? Thought some of you would have some of these high end antennas for your HD tvs. I'm curious, what type of antenna do you people use to get your OTA broadcast?
    I wasn't aware that Jamaican TVs broadcast in HD. When did this happen?

I assume you will only get the best of what they give......Analog. Don't believe the picture quality will be any better than you already have. Neither CVM/TVJ do digital so don't get your hopes up too high. lol
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

lol yeah I know TVJ and CVM use analog broadcast(for now). From the description some of these paper thin antennas can also pickup analog broadcast, was just curious how well they work here before I throw away my old antiquated rabbit ears, which looks so odd next to my new HD Tv. Guess you people dont use these new paper thin antennas, might have to buy one and find out myself, oh well .
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Feb 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

lol yeah I know TVJ and CVM use analog broadcast(for now). From the description some of these paper thin antennas can also pickup analog broadcast, was just curious how well they work here before I throw away my old antiquated rabbit ears, which looks so odd next to my new HD Tv. Guess you people dont use these new paper thin antennas, might have to buy one and find out myself, oh well .
    One thing i've noticed here in JA is the abundance of signals stepping over each other.
    Even with a pimped out antennae you will still need to employ placement creativity.

Furthermore Jamaican TV is only on for like, what...2 hours a day? <sarcasm/>
    Last edited by datdread; Feb 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Grammar 'n ****

In deed. On a side note, some people might not recall that the broadcast commission is pushing for digital switchover for both radio and TV by 2015. I suspect however the deadline might be extended.

I'm not sure how much better the quality will be but if it works better that conventional bunny ears then I guess its worth it. I am sorry we cannot help you in your quest. Please go forth and report back with your discoveries. God speed. Good sir.

In deed. On a side note, some people might not recall that the broadcast commission is pushing for digital switchover for both radio and TV by 2015. I suspect however the deadline might be extended.
    Too little too late methinks. This would only benefit the future generation.

'an those ****** don't do TV. They do ************* Youtube.

I think the best investment would be:

Improve Broadband infrastructure and flood the market with cheap web enabled smart devices (androids cough cough). Get every "country come to town ******" online and participating in jamaicas web-commerce.

Then...

Since we love our TVJ and CVM:
    Crowdfund some dollars ( or food. Jamaicans like to refer to money as food ), solicit some free tech support (we like free) and help carry these aged broadcast behemoths into the future 'cause I'm pretty sure them ****** ain't budgeted for the change.

..or you could save some money. 'an stick with them ears.
    Last edited by datdread; Feb 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: ...because: "I was abused by the grammar police and suffer from trauma"