Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Confused: Windows 8 ** Mac OS 10 ** IOS 7 ** WIndows RT

Windows RT cannot be compared to android and ios. Windows phone maybe but RT is in fact normal windows but stripped down to run on ARM. Maybe if MS made a tablet version of windows phone OS that used the exact same app store etc (like android and ios do), then you could make the comparison but RT is MS third OS in a market that has space for 2 clearly define OSes which are Desktop (including PCs and Laptops) and Mobile (including tablets and smartpnones) as defined by Apple and Google to some extent.

In other words MS is doing the opposite of Google and apple. They are not trying to bring the phone OS up to meet the PC OSes its trying to bring the PC OS down to meet the mobile phone.

In the future according to MS

1. desktop Windows will be installed on MS windows based phones, so as to have one device that fits all.

2. dock your phone into a dumb tablet and you get a tablet. (android has done that, Ios could too if apple wanted to make less money lol.).

3. i. dock your phone to a desktop dock or a dumb laptop
    or
    ii. dock your tablet (phone + dumb tablet) into a powered keyboard and you get a full blown laptop with desktop power

each dock providing additional levels of battery, hard drive space, processing power and even RAM. (i cant wait)

even though that's a long way off. each company Apple, Google, MS are approaching it differently. The only other company with a similar outlook is Ubuntu/canonical and they haven't even launched a device as yet.

Apple's and Google's vision of the future is similar with one main difference iOS and Android will probably replace the Mac OS Chrome OS instead of the other way around as in MS case with windows.

In my opinion, Apple and Google are smarter with their approach as that approach makes the money that is needed to drive innovation. MS is so rich I guess it doesnt need to drive innovation from the mobile end as they are way more heavily invested in the desktop OS than Apple and Google. They probably dont even see a future where the desktop OS is no more like what Apple and google envision.

So imaging when that day comes and its iOS and Android VS MS Windows on all platforms from smartphones to Servers.

any thoughts?
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    Windows RT cannot be compared to android and ios. Windows phone maybe but RT is in fact normal windows but stripped down to run on ARM. Maybe if MS made a tablet version of windows phone OS that used the exact same app store etc (like android and ios do), then you could make the comparison but RT is MS third OS in a market that has space for 2 clearly define OSes which are Desktop (including PCs and Laptops) and Mobile (including tablets and smartpnones) as defined by Apple and Google to some extent.
    I now feel like this is what truly happened. And I echo your sentiments about them using the MS Phone OS and porting it into tablet vs. dumbing down the windows 8 and stucking this let down of the MS OS on to an arm device because it wasn't made for it. Simply put in all honesty, I felt like the MS Surface was a cut corner after using it, felt like a dumb version of windows 8! pissed us all of! rip off!

dock your phone into a dumb tablet and you get a tablet. (android has done that, Ios could too if apple wanted to make less money lol.).

3. i. dock your phone to a desktop dock or a dumb laptop
    or
    ii. dock your tablet (phone + dumb tablet) into a powered keyboard and you get a full blown laptop with desktop power

each dock providing additional levels of battery, hard drive space, processing power and even RAM. (i cant wait)
    I believe ASUS did attempt this years ago with what was to be called the pad-phone and Motorola had their version too; it never took off, but I too like the idea as long as they can keep the integration neat and tidy, and it does not feel like merely another piece of bulk to tag along with. Personally I don't mind tethering my tab to my phone. and I'm fine with docking my tab into a keyboard for medium-light productivity. I also would like to see the universal dock of some sorts for tablets.

In my opinion, Apple and Google are smarter with their approach as that approach makes the money that is needed to drive innovation. MS is so rich I guess it doesnt need to drive innovation from the mobile end as they are way more heavily invested in the desktop OS than Apple and Google. They probably dont even see a future where the desktop OS is no more like what Apple and google envision.

So imaging when that day comes and its iOS and Android VS MS Windows on all platforms from smartphones to Servers.
    Again I echo your sentiments, Microsoft is lazy! and I'm not sure how they're going to do this single OS from phone to Servers... since they have very different functions, very different hardware sets, very different everything down to screen size and mode of inputs. E.g. difference between Windows 8 home and Ultimate? I personally don't see how it's going to work, but it should all be interesting to see what they come up with. I strongly believe they should invest in developing their mobile platform from the Mobile angle the hard way just like Google and Apple to make the experience alot more user friendly and functional for the 'average' person. Don't get me wrong windows phones are 'ok' and at best having that OS on a tab would be way better than what they've done now.

P.S. to the other people who kept talking about using their Windows tablets for productivity? Like there are so many productivity apps available in the Play Store that does the same as Windows MS or whatever else your using to validate the ownership of same device over an an iPad or android device. Let's keep it real!
    Last edited by Wallizzle; Feb 16, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

I use Office on my RT, it works well, i have remote desktop that i get into my vmware and personal pcs, that works well, i browse my files on different devices in the usual familiar manner that ive grown accustomed to. RT installs my printer drivers for me, so i just print directly to any printers i have right on the go without any special 'rom' or 'hack' or whatever android/ios users require.

RT almost replaced my desktop for everyday use(pcs are now my gaming console). I give you the fact that my store is small compared to yours, but the benefit of having a desktop environment and all that comes with it, to me, is just far more superior than having whatever software that personally i wouldnt be using anyway.

I have both wp8 and winRT, WP8 is designed for small phone screens where winRT is designed to be a bridge between mobile and desk that just doesnt run .exe files. I would be devastated if they every considered putting the limited phone OS on my RT device
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by -=KzR.Erasor=- View Post
    I use Office on my RT, it works well, i have remote desktop that i get into my vmware and personal pcs, that works well, i browse my files on different devices in the usual familiar manner that ive grown accustomed to. RT installs my printer drivers for me, so i just print directly to any printers i have right on the go without any special 'rom' or 'hack' or whatever android/ios users require.

RT almost replaced my desktop for everyday use(pcs are now my gaming console). I give you the fact that my store is small compared to yours, but the benefit of having a desktop environment and all that comes with it, to me, is just far more superior than having whatever software that personally i wouldnt be using anyway.

I have both wp8 and winRT, WP8 is designed for small phone screens where winRT is designed to be a bridge between mobile and desk that just doesnt run .exe files. I would be devastated if they every considered putting the limited phone OS on my RT device
    I agree with you on all your points..am I going to need full Photoshop or Adobe after effects CS6 or SOny Vegas pro video editing software on my tablet...ahh no....Rt serves its purpose and quite a few people who are android at heart (still own Android phones) appreciate what Microsoft has done with RT for Tabs..

all apps I need which are on my android phone are also on my RT tablet ... I saw a post above...which was obviously made by someone who has never seen or used RT which suggests that the MS store has no apps at all lol.

From skype to youtube to facebook, twitter, instagram, word, excel, powerpoint, maps,currency converter to Asphalt 8 and much more I have...so hey again as I have said many times before sold galaxy tab 2 for RT still not looking back...
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

Quote Originally Posted by wishlist View Post
    I agree with you on all your points..am I going to need full Photoshop or Adobe after effects CS6 or SOny Vegas pro video editing software on my tablet...ahh no....Rt serves its purpose and quite a few people who are android at heart (still own Android phones) appreciate what Microsoft has done with RT for Tabs..

all apps I need which are on my android phone are also on my RT tablet ... I saw a post above...which was obviously made by someone who has never seen or used RT which suggests that the MS store has no apps at all lol.

From skype to youtube to facebook, twitter, instagram, word, excel, powerpoint, maps,currency converter to Asphalt 8 and much more I have...so hey again as I have said many times before sold galaxy tab 2 for RT still not looking back...
    Ok let us name a single very useful app/functionality that RT offers that is not available on a similar spec/priced Android device! Name it and I will keep my Windows RT Tab.

RDP - I have been remoting into my desktop since 1st gen android tabs (Honeycomb w/ Tegra 1)?
    Photoshop?
    Light Games?
    Office? I have many versions to choose from with exactly the same functionality... Psh, I could do all that on my phone too.
    Like I said RT is a gimmick from Microsoft, a rip-off, it is rather upsetting their lazy mentality. IMO RT should not have been created. There should be strictly mobile OS (like the smart phone) and full blown windows 8 for those who want that, No RT!

RT is an excuse of an MS OS on a device! But these are merely my opinions... You beg to differ. I simply beg you to justify your choice of OS over an android device, that goes beyond merely personal preference. Which is my main argument.
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer

Quote Originally Posted by wishlist View Post
    ...I have said many times before sold galaxy tab 2 for RT still not looking back...
    You will.

Eventually.

The only thing that could save the RT hardware in the future: is if someone in the community figures out how to port android or linux to it.

This silly "Microsoft products equates to high productivity" mantra the industry pushes really only affects fanboys or the users with a vested interest in Microsoft products like resellers or the ambitious kids that spent an ungodly amount of money getting Microsoft certified credentials.

I like RT. It's a nice device.

It's like that really hot "partner" you marry. Then realize after a week the mistake you've made. Before you know it. You are cheating on your RT with a Desktop or...God forbid...a Galaxy tab

Quote Originally Posted by Wallizzle View Post
    Ok let us name a single very useful app/functionality that RT offers that is not available on a similar spec/priced Android device! Name it and I will keep my Windows RT Tab.

RDP - I have been remoting into my desktop since 1st gen android tabs (Honeycomb w/ Tegra 1)?
    Photoshop?
    Light Games?
    Office? I have many versions to choose from with exactly the same functionality... Psh, I could do all that on my phone too.
    Like I said RT is a gimmick from Microsoft, a rip-off, it is rather upsetting their lazy mentality. IMO RT should not have been created. There should be strictly mobile OS (like the smart phone) and full blown windows 8 for those who want that, No RT!

RT is an excuse of an MS OS on a device! But these are merely my opinions... You beg to differ. I simply beg you to justify your choice of OS over an android device, that goes beyond merely personal preference. Which is my main argument.
    1. I don't want you to keep your RT device...you are way too smart to have an RT device... the Facebook, twitter and the other apps on your Note 3 are way better even though made by same developer...i'm sure the apps on your note 3 unlike other devices also tells you the future...

2. I don't need to justify my choice to you...this is a forum, I have previous posts and videos on this topic...read/watch

3. your opinion is just that opinion please remember that.... I paid $400 for a tab 2...that had horrible screen, week dual core proc...horrible camera...and cheap plastic build...sold it got a better screen, faster processor aluminium body tablet with a OS that had all the apps I used on the Tab 2 for nearly half the price...

with that said enough persons have made valuable contributions to this thread..explaining Microsoft's lame marketing and implementation but it has been established that RT does have a spot in the mobile computing world and we will end this thread on that note...thanks for the contribution all.
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site