Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Confused: Windows 8 ** Mac OS 10 ** IOS 7 ** WIndows RT

Default I'm Confused: Windows 8 ** Mac OS 10 ** IOS 7 ** WIndows RT

What confuses me is the following.

1. Google makes mobile Android OS (different from desktop windows 8 and mac OS mountain lion) people love it and accept it.
    2. Apple makes mobile IOS (different from desktop Mac OS Mountain lion) people love it and accept it.
    3. Microsoft now makes windows Mobile RT OS (different from desktop windows) people act as if it cant do anything....

This amazes me everyday... for you the non mac book users are you aware that the OS on I-pads is different from Apples desktop Mac computers?
    So if Apple customers have no problem buying a Mac book with a specific mac OS and buy an I-pad tablet...understanding that this will have a mobile IOS not as powerful as the MAC desktop OS but have no issues..

Why when Microsoft says ok just like apple we would like to have a windows RT OS version to match IOS on Ipads and keep full windows 8 to match Mac OS mountain lion. why does everyone make it seem as if the concept of RT makes no sense?

Apple can have a Tablet OS but windows shouldn't? lol
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

Windows users are just all spoiled rotten, me included. It has always been that way with windows users forever; always resistant to whatever changes Microsoft makes in its product line but given time the opinion usually changes and everybody is back in love with Microsoft. I remember the last time this kind of fierce resistance reared its ugly head was when people were having to move from Windows XP to a newer OS and truth be told I know people who still uses XP and refuses to change.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

I think that the main (if not only) reason why people harp on WinRT as opposed to iOS, is the difference between the quality of apps. The Apple's app store is curated so that means is not every fool-fool app gets on there, on the other hand the MS store is a free for all, anything goes. Also there is the volume of existing apps that puts iOS at an advantage. And that volume of apps comes with the high number of i-Devices already in consumers hands.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

I think your missing the point gw33zy its not about the app stores for each platform.
    The point is that users are angry bcuz the Surface RT tablet isn't able to run traditional windows programs like u'd just download a .exe file and install on the windows desktop. The Surface Pro on the other hand is able to do all things windows but people still complain and i've always wondered why. I wondered if its bad marketing but its not cuz Microsoft tells you specifically what RT & Pro differences are so it comes down to people being spoilt as Jahman has said.
    CrApple and Android both have DIFFERENT operating systems for mobile & desktop and users have no issue but when Microsoft does it dem waah block rd & bun tire smh. Just goes to show that puss & dog nuh have the same luck
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by RZA View Post
    I think your missing the point gw33zy its not about the app stores for each platform.
    The point is that users are angry bcuz the Surface RT tablet isn't able to run traditional windows programs like u'd just download a .exe file and install on the windows desktop. The Surface Pro on the other hand is able to do all things windows but people still complain and i've always wondered why. I wondered if its bad marketing but its not cuz Microsoft tells you specifically what RT & Pro differences are so it comes down to people being spoilt as Jahman has said.
    CrApple and Android both have DIFFERENT operating systems for mobile & desktop and users have no issue but when Microsoft does it dem waah block rd & bun tire smh. Just goes to show that puss & dog nuh have the same luck
    exactly my point, I have the asus vivotab rt as my mobile tablet and still love it.

If it's about the confusion with WinRT and WinPro, then MS is too be blamed because they created (intensionally?) a confusing situation for the average customer. Of course the average customer is going to think about downloading and running an .exe files on a "Windows" tablet. Seems natural.

But i still think if MS had better apps for the RT platform people would not be so harsh towards it.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    If it's about the confusion with WinRT and WinPro, then MS is too be blamed because they created (intensionally?) a confusing situation for the average customer. Of course the average customer is going to think about downloading and running an .exe files on a "Windows" tablet. Seems natural.

But i still think if MS had better apps for the RT platform people would not be so harsh towards it.
    WTH are you talking about? How did Microsoft intentionally create a confusing situation when CrApple & Google have the very same model & there is no confusion there?

So your telling me that if I should say to the "average customer" that WinRT is meant to be used strictly as a tablet so you can only download & use apps from the app store (just like CrApple Ipad) while with the WinPro you can use it in everyway shape & form similar to how you use a laptop/desktop that's a confusing situation?

Lol if that's the case then there really is no cure for stupid and I don't mean you gW33zy, im talking about the "average customer"

I will concede tho that they do need more useful/functional apps & note my words carefully "useful/functional" cuz it makes no sense to have over 1 billion apps in an app store when maybe only 50,000 are useful.
    Last edited by RZA; Feb 11, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

WTH are you talking about? How did Microsoft intentionally create a confusing situation when CrApple & Google have the very same model & there is no confusion there?

So your telling me that if I should say to the "average customer" that WinRT is meant to be used strictly as a tablet so you can only download & use apps from the app store (just like CrApple Ipad) while with the WinPro you can use it in everyway shape & form similar to how you use a laptop/desktop that's a confusing situation?

Lol if that's the case then there really is no cure for stupid and I don't mean you gW33zy, im talking about the "average customer"

I will concede tho that they do need more useful/functional apps & note my words carefully "useful/functional" cuz it makes no sense to have over 1 billion apps in an app store when maybe only 50,000 are useful.
    The word "Windows" is synonymous with the idea of a personal computer, then the idea of a Windows based computer implies desktop applications i.e., ".exe". This is the way people have been associating such things for years. Its become conventional thinking.
    So when MS came with the idea of 2 separate OSes, which run apps in 2 completely separate manner. They should have used names which are separate and distinct. So distinguishing the 2 completely separate OSes by the suffixes "RT" and "Pro" is not enough for the average consumer. People are already confused as it is between Windows Ultimate and Windows Premium

All in all, dem shoulda name dem differently.
    Last edited by gW33Zy; Feb 11, 2014 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    The word "Windows" is synonymous with the idea of a personal computer, then the idea of a Windows based computer implies desktop applications i.e., ".exe". This is the way people have been associating such things for years. Its become conventional thinking.
    So when MS came with the idea of 2 separate OSes, which run apps in 2 completely separate manner. They should have used names which are separate and distinct. So distinguishing the 2 completely separate OSes by the suffixes "RT" and "Pro" is not enough for the average consumer. People are already confused as it is between Windows Ultimate and Windows Premium

All in all, dem shoulda name dem differently.
    To be quite honest I get your point and your right. because the majority of people don't use MACS and I guess in the Apple world the followers were never put in a situation where they thought I-Pads were mobile Mac Books.

But with that said, Most people on techja should have known..or by now know the difference between RT and Pro. So besides the few here who are looking for specific apps that win RT doesn't have so they have decided to pass on it. The silly argument about not being able to run legacy .exe should not be said, it just sounds silly... I am still very happy the say when Kingj did the video about his surface RT. and just by his video alone I had enough clear info that made me sell my garbage Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (Android) and join the world of winrt.

for me the primary apps I use on a tablet.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Ever-note, One-note, Youtube, Calendar, Excel, Word and then watch HD movies and play very light games, edit basic videos, basic photo tough up.

Every app above is on RT, IOS, and android except that RT has full excel and word... so like I said whats the confusion? I don't expect techja folks to sound like they are clueless and Kingja surface and my vivotab (which again build quality and specs/price) when compared to the galaxy tab is way better should not have been made and are horrible devices.

they are old now...but not horrible.

reminder for those who didn't see old vid from last year.
    Gaming

General part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyCi9kbamdc

HAHA! I echo gW33Zy's sentiments... Microsoft did a poor job of educating it's potential buyers of what's to be expected from an RT Tab, and why put out 2 totally different operating systems (because they really are totally different RT and Pro) on oh so similar devices and why reuse the name 'windows' which was already synonymous with desktops. It was rather confusing for most non-tech savvy consumers and hence the turnoff... Even I, who is pretty tech savvy took some amount of time and research to totally differentiate the 2 and I must say, owning a Windows RT tab was a joy at first but it became increasingly frustrating having a desktop with nothing I could install... literally the desktop view is useless; what a perfect setup for confusion! Desktop = Exe installs IMO. I too had that expectation once I saw the desktop and tried to install apps... The app store is poorly stocked, very slim pickings from what i'm used to on iOS and Android (not even youtube or proper facebook and linkedin; they docked the actual websites into iFrames and called them apps... ha what a joke!). And then who would use excel, or powerpoint on such a small screen... my eyes are bad as they already are.

My choice of switching back to android was strictly based on personal preference and needs in a tab. You need excel and I need the portability of reading ebooks on the go and playing a few simple 2D games etc. For everything else, I'm either at work or home so the mobility of excel and stuff don't really tickle my fancy. I'd say they all (iOS, Windows RT & Android) have their place in this world. Windows RT just doesn't have a place in my life right now, who knows though, I may own a Pro 10'+ tablet in the future or it would maybe be more worthwhile to buy a touchscreen ultrabook hybrid since the the price difference wouldn't be that significant anyways.
    Owned:
    >> Samsung Galaxy Note 3; LG Optimus G; Nexus 4; Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos
    << Microsoft Surface RT; Dell Venue 8; Asus Transformer