Thread: Also anybody sell Weller soldering stations in Kingston?

Default Also anybody sell Weller soldering stations in Kingston?

Also need a new soldering setup - want a temperature controlled Weller station.

Normally would bring this in via Mailpac but the new customs fee are making this really expensive so want to look locally first.

I am sure there are some sores that sell in in Kingston. You could try KGs or Systems and there is another one over Kings Plaza I think....the one that is close to Popeye's.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I am sure there are some sores that sell in in Kingston. You could try KGs or Systems and there is another one over Kings Plaza I think....the one that is close to Popeye's.
    The store near King'sPalza is called Satmps Electtronics, and if tthey don't have it (and they don't) , nobody in Kingston does. Oh, and, what type of applications are using this for (audio,SMT, etc.)?
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

thanks - really don't want to have to spend an extra 100% on one w/ CIF, Customs Fee, etc.

A combo of stuff - some light repair of smt and through-the-hole, some modification of similar stuff, and some homebrew stuff (wirewrap and single layer pcb)

Looking for this specifically : Weller WESD51 http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-.../dp/B000ARU9PO
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jan 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digi...keywords=aoyue

Had that one for years now and working fine. Cheaper. Works. If you specifically want that brand then I'd say buy it online.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digi...keywords=aoyue

Had that one for years now and working fine. Cheaper. Works. If you specifically want that brand then I'd say buy it online.
    that one looks promising - did you order it or get it locally?

Quote Originally Posted by engineroom View Post
    thanks - really don't want to have to spend an extra 100% on one w/ CIF, Customs Fee, etc.

A combo of stuff - some light repair of smt and through-the-hole, some modification of similar stuff, and some homebrew stuff (wirewrap and single layer pcb)

Looking for this specifically : Weller WESD51 http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-.../dp/B000ARU9PO
    With any SMT you are going to need solder paste. So customs may be a problem in that regard. You also need some hot air, especially when you get to the 603 sizes we see on modern consumer electronics. Now having said that, I would have to recommend the Aoyue 968 4 in 1, and some chisel point hakko tips. That soldering station is favorite among various famous electronics Internet nerds, and I see some o them with sets that date to 2007, even with heavy almost daily use. It seems to be great for those who can't buy a Metcal.

I am look to bring one down come March, so if you do get through, please tell us how theprocess went.

Quote Originally Posted by engineroom View Post
    that one looks promising - did you order it or get it locally?
    Ordered some years ago. Would recommend going through ShipWize based on my personal experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    With any SMT you are going to need solder paste. So customs may be a problem in that regard. You also need some hot air, especially when you get to the 603 sizes we see on modern consumer electronics. Now having said that, I would have to recommend the Aoyue 968 4 in 1, and some chisel point hakko tips. That soldering station is favorite among various famous electronics Internet nerds, and I see some o them with sets that date to 2007, even with heavy almost daily use. It seems to be great for those who can't buy a Metcal.

I am look to bring one down come March, so if you do get through, please tell us how theprocess went.
    This is a good idea if you want to do SMT/SMD.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Ordered some years ago. Would recommend going through ShipWize based on my personal experiences.
    Tell us about ShipWize, and if you have ever bought anything from eBay (the best place o buy mid-range electronics tools) also as well.

Hmm. Gonna warn it's going to be long. I tend to do that. Feel free to shorten it and re-post as you see fit. Been a member there since about 2009 I think. So far their breakdowns have been decent and they take things directly to customs and deal with it for me. Unlike more developed sites like MailPac and the others this one is completely Jamaican - as far as I'm aware MailPac is owned by some people overseas (Mexico?) and they don't give very good support IMO. They do have some people in MailPac that try to help and be fair, but my experiences have been horrible. Anyways.

You can either buy through ShipWize or ship to your address. Their rates and fees are a bit higher than the others but their rates don't fluctuate as much or as frequent. Based on my experience - if you do not receive an item they will either refund you the cost or buy it back for you. If you dispute your customs charge they will handle it for you and get things settled quickly.

Since they have no "pre-alert system" like the others, you're simply required to send in an email to them when you purchase something. Could just say something like "Item/s Expected" or such and attach the invoice for the cost of the item. They ship less frequently - unfortunately - but once your package gets to Miami before Thursday you'll get it by Friday/Saturday.

Bear in mind that for disputes you should provide your invoice, PayPal transaction number if applicable and bank transaction for the debited amount (print screen of transaction) to verify and validate the charges. Once they have this and take it to customs it's a matter of when those "nice persons" decide to re-evaluate your item charge.

Here's a funny story - purchased an analog multimeter for my father - he wanted one - and the cost was something like USD$15-$20. The item gets to Jamaica and they charge me I think JMD$1,000 for shipping etc and customs charges me JMD$2,000. When I dispute and they go back to customs the reply is that "China is not a reputable place and anyone could have written a price on the package". The cost (declared value) was on the package and my invoice had the same charges. I provided the information and got refunded about JMD$1500 thereafter. The thing I like about the statement is the fact that we have so many Chinese persons here, investors in JA and we're going to be doing a lot of collaboration with them now - yet they're a disreputable place? I like that thought. I guess my bank is disreputable as well seeing as how my statement shows the same that I paid for the item.