Thread: Desktop Power Issue

Default Desktop Power Issue

Got a emachine system unit to look at that's having a power problem it seems. Soon as I plug it in, it turns on, but the on/off button doesn't light up. I hear the fan going and I can open/close the ODD, but the keyboard doesn't seem to work (none of the lock lights come on). Need to try and get my hands on a monitor to see if anything comes on the screen. Any ideas so far?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

It's an emachine. That's the first issue I see. I don't like them, never used them, ultimately I don't repair them. Major headache.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Got a emachine system unit to look at that's having a power problem it seems. Soon as I plug it in, it turns on, but the on/off button doesn't light up. I hear the fan going and I can open/close the ODD, but the keyboard doesn't seem to work (none of the lock lights come on). Need to try and get my hands on a monitor to see if anything comes on the screen. Any ideas so far?
    ...any beeps from the onboard speaker?

No beeps. Nothing. The fan is the only indication that it's on. And that the DVD drive ejects. Monitor doesn't show anything, just stays on standby.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;

No beeps. Nothing. The fan is the only indication that it's on. And that the DVD drive ejects. Monitor doesn't show anything, just stays on standby.
    No disrespect intended but I'm going to assume you are not very tech savvy and recommend you seek a hands on professional.

Reason: You may need to crack open the box to check connections and or remove peripherals to test for post.

If you no so savvy, you could end up bricking the box for real.

e-machines are also pretty notorious for using cheap parts if not all on-board parts. Pain in the *** to troubleshoot.

If you have a POST card or a PSU tester at your disposal then use those to check the hardware. Checking path would be PSU - peripherals - board. Could be the PSU bad why it powers on but doesn't start. Could be a device causing the machine to not POST properly. Could be the board just being bad. Failing those then the suggestion above.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Yeah. Not so savvy when it comes on to hardware, especially when it's so strange. Cuz even the power led doesn't come on, yet the DVD drive works. Guess I'll try reseating the connections. Sorry I didn't bring my tools down with me.

Yeah. Not so savvy when it comes on to hardware, especially when it's so strange. Cuz even the power led doesn't come on, yet the DVD drive works. Guess I'll try reseating the connections. Sorry I didn't bring my tools down with me.
    Did a quick search on "e-machine power led"

https://www.google.com/search?q=e-ma...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Apparently you are not alone...

Guess I should just have it scrapped instead of attempting to fix it then...