Thread: NSA reportedly intercepting laptops purchased online to install spy malware

igodit Guest

Default NSA reportedly intercepting laptops purchased online to install spy malware

According to a new report from Der Spiegel based on internal NSA documents, the signals intelligence agency's elite hacking unit (TAO) is able to conduct sophisticated wiretaps in ways that make Hollywood fantasy look more like reality. The report indicates that the NSA, in collaboration with the CIA and FBI, routinely and secretly intercepts shipping deliveries for laptops or other computer accessories in order to implant bugs before they reach their destinations. According to Der Spiegel, the NSA's TAO group is able to divert shipping deliveries to its own "secret workshops" in a method called interdiction, where agents load malware onto the electronics or install malicious hardware that can give US intelligence agencies remote access.

While the report does not indicate the scope of the program, or who the NSA is targeting with such wiretaps, it's a unique look at the agency's collaborative efforts with the broader intelligence community to gain hard access to communications equipment. One of the products the NSA appears to use to compromise target electronics is codenamed COTTONMOUTH, and has been available since 2009; it's a USB "hardware implant" that secretly provides the NSA with remote access to the compromised machine.

This tool, among others, is available to NSA agents through what Der Spiegel describes as a mail-order spy catalog. The report indicates that the catalog offers backdoors into the hardware and software of the most prominent technology makers, including Cisco, Juniper Networks, Dell, Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Samsung, and Huawei. Many of the targets are American companies. The report indicates that the NSA can even exploit error reports from Microsoft's Windows operating system; by intercepting the error reports and determining what's wrong with a target's computer, the NSA can then attack it with Trojans or other malware.

Source: The Verge

Read it earlier today, its however not surprising.

I personally am more paranoid and think that Intel and other chip makers based in the US, isreal, GB etc. builds these covert functionalities into the circuitry of the processors of these devices making ot even easier for the NSA and anyone who knows of it to take advantage.
    THANK GOD

Yow, I never gave thought to these allegations until today. I will be following keenly this trend. Some weird stuff been happening on my phone as well. There is something bigger afoot here. Which prompted me to start a thread on this subject matter as well, showing up yet another NSA initiative. I mean I'm no terrorist, or anything. I ain't doing anything illegal. I'm a decent law abiding citizen, but I need my privacy to be respected. It's my God given right (or so I'm made to think).
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

I already wipe all my devices to curtail it to my preference so I am hypothetically safe from a software pov. Most hardware though, I cant do anything about. In the end, trust no one.

jomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cultus View Post
    Yow, I never gave thought to these allegations until today. I will be following keenly this trend. Some weird stuff been happening on my phone as well. There is something bigger afoot here. Which prompted me to start a thread on this subject matter as well, showing up yet another NSA initiative. I mean I'm no terrorist, or anything. I ain't doing anything illegal. I'm a decent law abiding citizen, but I need my privacy to be respected. It's my God given right (or so I'm made to think).
    I used to just say 'oh I'm not a terrorist blah blah blah' but in all honesty I'm not a decent law abiding citizen in the true term, lol, and this ish is scary

Kinda glad right now I don't use much more than my bb, my tv and dvd with hard drive plugged in and only use wireless for bluetooth in the car and such

Yow this wireless streaming and storing things on cloud and all kinda rubbish just isn't for me, neither do I trust all kinda apps that are a FLASHLIGHT yet need permission to view your MESSAGES and use your DATA?! Wtf!

And I've been hacked and stalked here in good old ja without baiting up myself as it is! Imagine if I was into every tech crap that's out there....

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolfe Hellscream View Post
    I already wipe all my devices to curtail it to my preference so I am hypothetically safe from a software pov. Most hardware though, I cant do anything about. In the end, trust no one.
    I am not surprised, at this point I expect the unexpected when it comes to national security

Intercepting your devices to plant back-doors is baby stuff.
    They have the ability to irradiate an area with 1 GHz radio waves and use this signal to intercept the signal from an infected monitor cable. That is some really scary ish to consider.

Just watch the video in my post video and skip or 56:00 minutes to see how they do it.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...tent-of-Spying
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

LOL. won't be long before Jamaican customs follow suite and break your ****.

igodit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolfe Hellscream View Post
    Formatting your device would not prevent the digital surveillance, the devices are custom firmware modified to circumvent the surveillance software from being removed.

Re-watching movies such as "Enemy of the State" feels more fact than fiction these days

Default Snowden at SXSW: The NSA is 'setting fire to the future of the Internet'

In other news.. snowden via 7 Proxies yep..

http://news.yahoo.com/snowden-sxsw-i...141843045.html
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android