Thread: Chainloading syslinux from BCD on a USB HDD

Default Chainloading syslinux from BCD on a USB HDD

I'm trying to setup a multiboot ISO system on my external HDD. The partition I'm using is NTFS formatted and has a lot of info (that I have nowhere else to put), so no formatting. So far I've used YUMI to put several OSes (Sabayon, Ubuntu, Win7, etc) on it. Syslinux is giving an error when I try to boot though: "Could not find volume info attribute!" and I can't find any sensible fixes, so I decided to use BCD to boot instead. That works fine, but the problem now is getting an entry into it so I can start syslinux instead of Windows Setup.

EasyBCD doesn't seem to be flexible enough, as it only creates a bootsector file elsewhere that I have no idea how to connect into the multiboot folder. And bcdedit is driving me crazy as I can't figure what I really need to chain and how to load syslinux. Any pointers?
    Last edited by Skele Drew; Dec 21, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    ... "Could not find volume info attribute!" ...
    I went through about 8 pages of results 3 times too. I am not certain if this is a syslinux problem. Picture or it didn't happen?
    so I decided to use BCD to boot instead. That works fine, but the problem now is getting an entry into it so I can start syslinux instead of Windows Setup.
    You could try the bcdedit tutorial for OpenBSD or http://bbs.ipauly.com/.

Errata: http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Windows_BCD
    Last edited by carey; Dec 20, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Made some progress and then hit another wall. Used syslinux to create a MBR file, and then bcdedit to add the entry into BCD. Now I have syslinux chained, but I ran into another error: "Failed to load ldlinux.c32". But ldlinux.c32 is right there beside the MBR file.

I've been having a small problem where some files have stopped showing on the drive. For eg, I lost visibility of the boot folder in Explorer (which has the BCD file), but it shows in Command Prompt and some other file viewers. Can't see ldlinux.c32 and couple other files in my multiboot folder too. Wondering if this might be causing the issue or if there is some misconfig.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions