Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average salary of an IT professional?

Default Average salary of an IT professional?

just wondering, what's the average salary of some IT jobs like a software engineer or technician etc.

I know this is an old thread but as someone who graduated university less than a year now and has been on a couple interviews i want to know whats the starting salary like for IT jobs. Almost every interview they ask 'what is your expected salary' but give them a figure over 150k monthly and they start to negotiate down. I see some postings online with some salaries but i know people working at some of those places and they dont get anywhere near what is advertised so i would like to hear from some of the techies in the field on the positions below:

Software developer
    Systems Admin
    Database Admin
    Network engineer
    QA Analyst
    IT Security

For me i got an offer of 2.5m for a cyber security position without any experience and though grateful i'm not sure where this falls for such a position.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

I can't speak to what the market salaries are for those positions but I will share that sometimes you may have to take a lower salary to get into an opportunity that has the potential to take you further in the long-run. Cybersecurity is a great field to be in with tremendous long-term opportunities. Network engineer as well IMO.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Yeah i just wanted to get a foot through the door so i didn't try to negotiate anything, just said yes when they made me an offer. But i know places that really try to underpay, i have people asking me what they should put in the expected salary box but i have no idea.
    MSI B350 Tomhawk | Ryzen 7 5700x | Cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink | MSI gtx 1070 | Corsair 32gb DDR4 (3200Mhz) | Samsung 970 evo 1tb | Seagate 1tb + 500 gb | Dell 27 INCH-S2719DGF 2560x1440 144hz Monitor

Also, total compensation is more than salary. Consider the benefits being offered, both tangible (health plan, bonus, allowances, etc.) and intangible (time off, training, etc.)
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

Depending on the size of the business you work for, the position you have, the responsibility, the certifications, the experience, etc.......your salary in IT with a medium to large company can range from JMD$80,000 - JMD$200,000. Depending on the company you may make more as well, primarily depending on your experience or responsibilities.

Most local companies don't like to pay. And as suggested by Chris - you need to look at benefits as well.

Health. Insurance. Pension. Etc.

Younger persons in any business don't see the benefits of some of these things beforehand. But think of this.

Pension matched by the company over time add up.

Investment options for your pension fund may give you far more cash as well. For example - if you invested with a company (Sagicor, Barita, JMMB, etc) 15 years ago - at $JMD10,000 per month - you'd have about 50 million now.

https://www.sagicor.com/en-jm/unit%20trust%20calculator

Use the calculator and punch in 15 years ago. The overall gain is 800%. Divide that by 15 years it's 53% per year.

https://www.sagicor.com/en-jm/savings-calculator

Put those figures into the savings calculator. 10k per moth @ 53% per year and even with crimina.........government tax of 25% - which shouldn't be applicable since it's salary deduction...........but still.........government. And look at the figures.

To make it more...........realistic. Put in $10,000 - 25% tax - 15 years - 45% interest rate. One of the things we don't do is save or invest. And if you work with a large company you should find out as much as you can regarding your pension and investment options through the pension plan. So - you may not be making 500k per month. But in the long run you can make things easier on yourself.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Thanks Chris and Khat for the info, honestly i didn't expect to be making over 150k just leaving school so im grateful for where i am right now. I just went and looked at my overall package and it does offer a good health plan and pension matching with other benefits. Most importantly for me is the access to online training platforms which allows me get additional training at no extra cost to me. I will definitely look into one of those investment plans as keeping my money in the bank is no not benefiting me.

150k is a good place to start. Most are lucky to even get a job without any experience/portfolio or competence. IT positions get paid higher than call centers for sure but some entry level jobs pay the same. When just starting out one should not worry about the salary as long as you get paid enough to clear their bills, eat and save your money in case your parents are gunning to kick you out. When you just start working do not take out a car loan - even if you can afford it. Cars are fun but they are a liability.

Depending on the size of the company the salary scale will vary but be careful not to fall into a position where you are the Jack of all trades and the company IT slave. If its the only job you can get take it but do not spend all your life growing gray hairs by yourself when more heads are needed - switching jobs is tough at first but its the best way to increase your salary. There is always more money to be made but more money comes with more responsibility/stress.

I actually know people who are just leaving University that think 150k is too low with their IT degree and also people making less than that who bought a car within the first year of work. It took me 6 years to finish my degree because i way paying for it myself and didn't go the SLB route but im happy i finished debt free so i can afford to buy a car and all that but thats not a priority for me right now. I really enjoy what i do so putting in long hours is not a problem for me plus it feels nice seeing over 200k going in my account at the end of the month ��