Thread: Wifi, ethernet and some USB devices dont work (UBUNTU 13.10)

Default Wifi, ethernet and some USB devices dont work (UBUNTU 13.10)

so i installed 13.10 2 days ago...now all of a sudden im getting "no network devices" plugged in ethernet...the indicator light comes on but no connection to the internet...my mouse doesnt even work...(flash drives work though) any assistance for a linux noob

PS~ im thinking of going to 12.04 hopefully these issues dont follow me

Default Zeen

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    so i installed 13.10 2 days ago...now all of a sudden im getting "no network devices" plugged in ethernet...the indicator light comes on but no connection to the internet...my mouse doesnt even work...(flash drives work though) any assistance for a linux noob

Was this a fresh install or an upgrade?
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

Quote Originally Posted by kknight View Post
    Was this a fresh install or an upgrade?
    It was a fresh install.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post

Where do we start? Ubuntu is so hard to troubleshoot. Everything is behind gui.

Try this for starters:
    - Sprunge.us the results of lspci -vv and lsusb
    - Install gpm and run mev (http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_mev.htm), then report errors
    - Canonical dislikes systemd I believe, so they may be using a heavily patched udev. So sprunge.us the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/*
    - Any errors in your logs would be good to know so let's see your dmesg, or /var/log/messages* or /var/log/everything.log and /var/log/Xorg*

After we get an image of what is going on with your interfaces then we should be able to fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Where do we start? Ubuntu is so hard to troubleshoot. Everything is behind gui.

Try this for starters:
    - Sprunge.us the results of lspci -vv and lsusb
    - Install gpm and run mev (http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_mev.htm), then report errors
    - Canonical dislikes systemd I believe, so they may be using a heavily patched udev. So sprunge.us the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/*
    - Any errors in your logs would be good to know so let's see your dmesg, or /var/log/messages* or /var/log/everything.log and /var/log/Xorg*

After we get an image of what is going on with your interfaces then we should be able to fix things.
    A simpler solution may be to use 12.04LTS. Everything there should work.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Nov 27, 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: merged multiple posts

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    A simpler solution may be to use 12.04LTS. Everything there should work.
    precisely what i did...been a happy camper since...i mainly use windows now when i need to edit photos in lightroom

It sounds as if that version did not include or load drivers for those devices. How old is the computer? If the computer is relatively new, they might be added later.

Most hardware manufacturers provide drivers for Windows. Some do not provide drivers for other operating systems. It can take a while for open source developers to create Linux drivers where none exist. I tend to stick with hardware makers who provide Linux drivers.
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 28, 2013 at 06:56 AM.

pavilion g6 amd a4 3300m, system board is hp 169b