Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soylent - The Future of Food

Default Soylent - The Future of Food

What if you never had to worry about food again?

For many people, on many occasions, food is a hassle, especially when trying to eat well. Suppose we had a default meal that was the nutritional equivalent of water: cheap, healthy, convenient and ubiquitous. Soylent will be personalized for different body types and customizable based on individual goals. It allows one to enjoy the health benefits of a well balanced diet with less effort and cost.
    Soylent - Free Your Body

Discovered this a couple days ago. I can already smell that it's gonna create a revolution soon enough, just like I knew Android and Bitcoin would. I'm already gearing up to give this a go when they finally start shipping next year...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

I can already smell that this will be a total was of time and energy and will likely result in many lawsuits. We are at this point in humanity after millions of years of evolution and guess what...we still know very little about the subtle intricacies of how the human body works. Every year scientists go back an forth about what's good or bad for us, the only thing that has been consistent is that a healthy diet should be built around fruits and vegetables. It's statistically impossible that in a couple years a few engineers that have never won any scientific awards will be able to figure out the wonders of how the human body works, while the most brilliant scientists over the last 200 years weren't able to.

The start-up culture has deluded many people into believing that a stroke of brilliance can solve any problem. Before anyone jumps on that ridiculous band-wagon they can just look around and see the endless number of hard problems that we are nowhere near solving. I'm a programmer and I can assure you that solutions such as Bitcoin and Android are infinitesimal in comparison to understanding how the human body works and other HARD problems.
    "Fortune Favors the Bold" -Virgil

soylent was made from ppl
    getz mine the fast way, ski-mask way...
    christopher wallace r.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl@ze View Post

Beat me to it. How many persons remember watching this?

I didn't. .

They will kill those two guys who invented Soylent... Just like they killed this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by sk@tta View Post
    They will kill those two guys who invented Soylent... Just like they killed this guy:
    HHO? Seriously? I believe in alternative energy sources, but I call BS on this one.

http://scams.wikispaces.com/Water+Powered+Cars

http://www.epicidiot.com/waterpoweredauto.htm

The company is now selling gas additives - http://www.hytechapps.com/index.html

The same station that featured him did a subsequent story "debunking" the gas additives, without even bothering to mention the even more ridiculous story that THEY unleashed in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by sumo View Post
    I can already smell that this will be a total was of time and energy and will likely result in many lawsuits. We are at this point in humanity after millions of years of evolution and guess what...we still know very little about the subtle intricacies of how the human body works. Every year scientists go back an forth about what's good or bad for us, the only thing that has been consistent is that a healthy diet should be built around fruits and vegetables. It's statistically impossible that in a couple years a few engineers that have never won any scientific awards will be able to figure out the wonders of how the human body works, while the most brilliant scientists over the last 200 years weren't able to.

The start-up culture has deluded many people into believing that a stroke of brilliance can solve any problem. Before anyone jumps on that ridiculous band-wagon they can just look around and see the endless number of hard problems that we are nowhere near solving. I'm a programmer and I can assure you that solutions such as Bitcoin and Android are infinitesimal in comparison to understanding how the human body works and other HARD problems.
    Do you understand the concept behind the product? Did you even read any of the already numerous documentaries available for it? In a way they are even doing anything new. We ALREADY have this available as medical food that they use to keep people who can't eat the usual way alive for months/years on end, except it's expensive as hell. Why would we need to eat fruits and vegetables if we can get EVERYTHING WHERE'RE SUPPOSED TO GET from them in a much more convenient and affordable form? All they did was make food into a form that is COMPLETELY healthy, cheap AND super-convenient. Read the blog documenting the steps taken to get to where they are, the critiques already done, etc. and do some critical thinking before you jump to conclusions.

Yeah. It really might lead to a lot of lawsuits, because there will be many people selling food as is now who don't like the idea of competition putting forward something cheaper, better, etc. Look at the numerous lawsuits Apple's filing against Samsung, etc. It's because they're losing in fair competition!

This morning, Vice’s Brian Merchant published a documentary
    video and accompanying article that outlined his experience living off Soylent exclusively for thirty days, several months ago. Brian sought to recreate the scrupulous conditions of Rob’s initial Soylent test. Though the overall tone of the article was positive and he concluded that Soylent is something he will likely continue to use as a cheap, healthy, and easy staple meal, there were a few points that we feel require clarification. We encourage you to watch the entire video and read the article as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl@ze View Post

I wasn't sure if he was trolling at first, because "soylent" is the name of a wafer made out of human flesh and fed to the overpopulated masses in the seminal 1973 sci-fi film Soylent Green, but then I read the extensive post on Rob's blog about how he came to make the stuff and started to believe him. Soylent contains all of the nutritive components of a balanced diet, but with just a third of the calories and none of the toxins or cancer-causing stuff you'd usually find waiting to kill you in your lunch. Despite the fact it looks a bit like vomit, Soylent supposedly has the potential to change the entire world's relationship with food, so I spoke to Rob to find out how.
    This Man Thinks He Never Has to Eat Again

Doesn't get much more critical than this...
    Last edited by Skele Drew; Nov 18, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

nothing manufactured can best the food as it comes in nature as the Creator made them... fruits and vegetables for me please. leave the junk to junkies!
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

now this is what i expected ... as usual VICE digs deep
    watch