Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Development (Android, IOS and Blackberry OS)

Default Mobile Development (Android, IOS and Blackberry OS)

Yes mobile applications have taken off in many other parts of the world but has it really taken off in Jamaica? I think there are many ways things being done now could be done better by using a combination of web and mobile applications or just mobile apps alone.

Are there any local start-ups out there with their core business being a mobile application?
    Are there any mobile developers here?
    What operating system do you develop for?
    What languages/frameworks do you use to develop and deploy your applications?
    You could post your applications here so the rest of the family could have a look and provide some constructive feedback.
    We could also bounce ideas here.
    Phone: Nexus 4 | [ALL STOCK] | Powered by Digicel
    System: Asus Maximus V Gene | Core I5 3570K | CM Hyper 212 | 3x 4GB 1866MHz | GTX 670 FTW | Crucial M4 256 and WD Caviar Black 1TB & 640 GB | Asus 24x DVD RW | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair HX650

No one here does any mobile development?
    System: Asus Maximus V Gene | Core I5 3570K | CM Hyper 212 | 3x 4GB 1866MHz | GTX 670 FTW | Crucial M4 256 and WD Caviar Black 1TB & 640 GB | Asus 24x DVD RW | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair HX650

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaptor View Post
    No one here does any mobile development?
    think pezz had a thread going a little while back......

There are many people locally doing app development, search through the threads and you should find a lot of apps to try out.
    "Fortune Favors the Bold" -Virgil

I do mobile development

Quote Originally Posted by dontayeb View Post
    I do mobile development
    Which OS do you develop for?

Do you do native or framework?

I developer for :

Always Native

Android and Windows Phone. pm me...

I build out custom apis or just use BaaS such as Azure and Kinvey (uses Google App Engine).
    Last edited by mobile_fan_2k5; Nov 21, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

Quote Originally Posted by mobile_fan_2k5 View Post
    I developer for :

Always Native

Android and Windows Phone. pm me...

I build out custom apis or just use BaaS such as Azure and Kinvey (uses Google App Engine).
    Why native as opposed to using a framework like Phonegap? Native means you're gonna have to code for other platforms. With the framework you code in HTML5 and Javascript and deploy it to different platforms.

I am not familiar with Azure and Kinvey.....care to share a bit based on your experience?

You have any sample apps deployed that you can share?

That topic of native vs html5 can be seen here..

My reason is kinda one sided...but native provides unlimited possibilities in your apps... never really tried html5 that much but native code executes faster... there are a bounty of libraries one can use and some more are said in the post i pasted..

Azure, kinvey, Amazon Web Services and so on can be used to supplement back-end code... meaning if you are to build out a app that is heavily dependent on an database and other sever dependent task.. you don't need to code it from scratch you can access those services via an sdk.

Example in Azure, if you were to build an app that needs user reg...login...data storage...push notifications...location services.. media storage.. you can access these features fast without building out a web app that will carry out these tasks. Cut developer time in half.

Sample apps i don't have any sample code that is great but i have a app on windows phone store and working on android apps for myself...other apps i made is for clients.

My advice: Join Android, Windows Phone and Iphone dev forums, blogs and other sites...

See windows phone example code.. here
    Pc= Hp dv6t

Quote Originally Posted by mobile_fan_2k5 View Post
    That topic of native vs html5 can be seen here..

My reason is kinda one sided...but native provides unlimited possibilities in your apps... never really tried html5 that much but native code executes faster... there are a bounty of libraries one can use and some more are said in the post i pasted..

Azure, kinvey, Amazon Web Services and so on can be used to supplement back-end code... meaning if you are to build out a app that is heavily dependent on an database and other sever dependent task.. you don't need to code it from scratch you can access those services via an sdk.

Example in Azure, if you were to build an app that needs user reg...login...data storage...push notifications...location services.. media storage.. you can access these features fast without building out a web app that will carry out these tasks. Cut developer time in half.

Sample apps i don't have any sample code that is great but i have a app on windows phone store and working on android apps for myself...other apps i made is for clients.

My advice: Join Android, Windows Phone and Iphone dev forums, blogs and other sites...

See windows phone example code.. here
    This is all very good stuff. I've done native before and must admit the difference in speed compared to a framework is noticeable.
    I wasn't aware of all these services before as I would build out all my web services manually.

Thanks for your input - very much appreciated.