Thread: Windows 8.1 Install Over Windows 8 Standard Version?

wii.live07 Guest

Default Windows 8.1 Install Over Windows 8 Standard Version?

I am planning to buy a laptop in December and chances are it will either come with windows 8 (the basic-standard version) or windows 8 pro. If it comes with windows 8 standard, can I install windows 8.1 pro over it and will that work? If it comes with windows 8 pro it should be able to allow me to install windows 8.1 pro and it should come as a 64 bit system as that's the standard for new machines these days. If not I'll just install the 32 bit version of windows 8.1 from the Windows store. Like I said before, it's not really gonna come as a 32 bit system as that's outdated and old. Will a windows 8 (standard version) of windows allow me to install 8.1 pro? And do most laptops come with windows 8.1 pro or standard? I want to know as I'm shopping around for a great Christmas deal and I want value for my money. I want my usage of this laptop to stretch. This is my first laptop so I need the advice. Thanks much.

Most laptops come with Windows 8, this will be indicated in the specs sheet of the product page. If it comes with Windows 8 and not Pro, all you need is a legit Windows 8 pro Key to convert the Windows 8 Installation into Pro.

More than likely it will be a 64-bit version, once it has more than 4GB of ram. Unless you have a genuine copy of 8.1 Pro with you, save yourself the trouble and buy a laptop that has Pro already installed. If it comes with Windows 8 you can upgrade it to 8.1 afterwards.

wii.live07 Guest

At the risk of being repetitive with my question...is it possible to install Windows 8.1 pro on a machine that has Windows 8 Standard already? A simple yes or no will suffice because I am not understanding what you are saying. You are hot and cold at the same time with your response.

Basically what he is trying to say to you is that all you will require to turn 8 standard into 8 pro is a key which can be purchased from Microsoft. It does not require a re installation or installation on top of 8 standard.
    So the final suggestion to you was to just to purchase a laptop with 8 Pro already installed. Save yourself a double purchase. The link below should answer your questions; there you will find all answers to the knowledge you seek. Hope that's not too much for you to do.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rms-conditions
    Last edited by jahman182; Oct 25, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

^^^ bingo... if it comes with Windows 8 Standard all you would is to buy a Windows 8 Pro Key and put it in. It will unlock all the PRO features in about 20 minutes. However it will be cheaper and easier for you to just buy a laptop that already has Windows 8 pro on it.

You know what i find amazing, I remember when win8 was first released, alot of people were giving it negative reviews for the changes that were made. Now here we are with the first official update since its release and its like no negative views or reviews are surfacing.

Funny how that works when you have no choice but to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by dvius23 View Post
    You know what i find amazing, I remember when win8 was first released, alot of people were giving it negative reviews for the changes that were made. Now here we are with the first official update since its release and its like no negative views or reviews are surfacing.

people are just resistive to change.....

Windows 8.1 is the same Windows 8, with bug fixes. You want us to complain about the bug fixes too?

Windows 7 is my new XP. That is all.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    people are just resistive to change.....
    Exactly, and the last time i checked there is nothing more sure in this life than change.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Windows 8.1 is the same Windows 8, with bug fixes. You want us to complain about the bug fixes too?

Windows 7 is my new XP. That is all.
    Seriously Arch_Angel, if your here in the now, i know your just saying that because i remember when people used to hang on to winxp for dear life and now they are hanging on to win7 so i know that eventually you will evolve to the next level when you ready.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Oct 29, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

Seriously Arch_Angel, if your here in the now, i know your just saying that because i remember when people used to hang on to winxp for dear life and now they are hanging on to win7 so i know that eventually you will evolve to the next level when you ready.
    Windows 8 will just be 1 of those systems that many persons will skip. Windows 7 has become the new XP in my humble opinion.

I look forward to what windows 9 will be like.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008