Thread: Rooted stock rom android 4.3

Post Rooted stock rom android 4.3

Has anyone been able to successfully root stock rom with jb4.3 or successfully run OTA updates on a rooted device or manual install using twrp or any other custom recovery tool?
    "I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake"- Descartes

Which device are you referring to?
    If it's Samsung, then 4.3 comes with locked bootloaders. That was one thing I was curious about when I looked at the display units in our local Samsung store the other day.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

It's different for various phones... but from skimming the forums over at xda devs in the past I've seen where almost all the nexus devices can successfully be rooted on JB 4.3, along with a few others. However... I haven't seen (so far) where a rooted device gets OTA updates without some kind of a challenge. For example going from rooted 4.2.2 to 4.3, from what I've been able to garner (which hasn't been very much) I see people unroot the 4.2.2, get the OTA to 4.3, then re-root. Some can pull it off with custom recoveries but not without a fair amount of gymnastics involved If they want to stay on the stock rom. There are a few programs developed by a few guys over xda devs that make rooting certain devices a simple one click process with the phone/tablet connected via usb. Take a gander over there they explain these things at length. Just type in the model of phone/tablet/phablet, you're interested in and there's bound to be a post about it
    Mobile Device: Google/Lg Nexus 4
    Desktop: MSI 785GT E63 Motherboard/AMD Phenom II 555 X2 (Unlocked to B55 X4) AM3 CPU Cooled by COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 Plus/EVGA NVIDIA GTX260(dead after 4 years of ardent service. R.I.P./2 x 2Gb OCZ 800MHZ DDR2 Ram/Corsair TX750 PSU/NZXT Tempest Case

Quote Originally Posted by Yung_Hero View Post
    all the nexus devices can successfully be rooted on JB 4.3
    Nexus devices will /always/ have unlocked bootloaders. Take a look at the Tab3 shipped with 4.3 and you will notice the locked bootloader out of the box. I suspect this is one of the reasons for skipping 4.2 for older devices and going straight to 4.3 across the board.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    Nexus devices will /always/ have unlocked bootloaders.
    My nexus 4 bootloader is currently locked... and that's how it came. :-/
    Desktop: MSI 785GT E63 Motherboard/AMD Phenom II 555 X2 (Unlocked to B55 X4) AM3 CPU Cooled by COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 Plus/EVGA NVIDIA GTX260(dead after 4 years of ardent service. R.I.P./2 x 2Gb OCZ 800MHZ DDR2 Ram/Corsair TX750 PSU/NZXT Tempest Case

Now I've seen everything. I can't see the reasoning for Google to do that to the hardware since they don't seriously profit from the actual sale of the device. I can see the reason for Samsung doing it or the typical carriers. My next phone would most likely be a Google Play or Developer edition where I don't have to worry about locked bootloaders or any of that nonsense. My primary reason for rooting is getting rid of carrier bloat.

Gemel's original post is rather vague, so I'd like to see some clarification so that our discussion can be more meaningful.
    HTML Code:

To Google's credit though, the bootlader on any Nexus is usually just one button press away from being unlocked. But I wonder why they bother sometimes. I guess for security purposes? Maybe.

Yea it seems your both correct. What i wanted to was attempt OTA without having to wipe all my data , as i understand it bootloader can remain locked or unlocked so long as your running stock recovery but had trouble getting my hands on an img file matching my phone model. HTC one by the way(m7wls). I went ahead and did a full wipe(bootloader was still unlocked), i had s-off though so am not sure if perhaps thats why or you just dont need a locked bootloader to achieve OTA. OTA went through successully to JB4.3 and manually rerooted with twrp recovery
    "I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake"- Descartes

Well said NOKIA 3650, next device will definitely be a dev edition or Nexus. Actually soft bricked the device a few days ago and took hours to fix not made any easier with windows 8 driver issues. I can understand security reasons for not allowing root access but if its my device i dont see why it should be a problem, give us the option to take it or leave it. apart from the bloatware your not able to tailor a full backup(impossible while the OS is booted) which is another reason to go root not the least apps running in the background or at startup draining battery. Sigh