Thread: Print Server Software

Default Print Server Software

I have a few printers (ok more than 2) and a dedicated pc that I will use for the server. Probably will be using Ubuntu as the OS.

But I am looking for a print server that can manage the print jobs that are sent to the printers. (I print A LOT)

Anyone has any experience with a print server that they can recommend? Not seeing a whole lot of choices when it comes to googling 'print server software'. (Maybe I need to check page 2? )
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    I have a few printers (ok more than 2) and a dedicated pc that I will use for the server. Probably will be using Ubuntu as the OS.

But I am looking for a print server that can manage the print jobs that are sent to the printers. (I print A LOT)

Anyone has any experience with a print server that they can recommend? Not seeing a whole lot of choices when it comes to googling 'print server software'. (Maybe I need to check page 2? )
    Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) is all you need. You should read that book. This is from the first page of a google search: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/cups.html
    Last edited by carey; Sep 26, 2013 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) is all you need. You should read that book. This is from the first page of a google search: https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/cups.html
    Thanks Carey. That seems perfect.

Tell me something, with a print server, the clients will have to install CUPS as well? Or is it that they just install the printers and send the print job as normal and CUPS will take care of the rest?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Thanks Carey. That seems perfect.

Tell me something, with a print server, the clients will have to install CUPS as well? Or is it that they just install the printers and send the print job as normal and CUPS will take care of the rest?
    CUPS supplies various protocols. No installs necessary for clients. The simplest to use may be IPP. Sorry for the late post. You know how JPS are with their disconnections and such...