Thread: Network Monitoring

Default Network Monitoring

I have a network with over 20 users and i realize throughout the day the speed is extremely slow. A test from the source shows i'm getting 4mb but connect back to the main switch and it drops again significantly. How can i track which users are using the majority of bandwidth, possibly downloading stuff without having to go to every single computer ?
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

Wireshark is quite good too.

One expensive, but very efficient program is Spector Pro for US$99.95

And then there is Microsoft Network Monitor. I have no review for this.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

TwistedPair Guest

If you have a firewall on the network, you can usually pull reports from that regarding bandwidth usage. From there you would also be able to block types of traffic or users. I for example block all the video & social media sites during working hours. I get a report from my firewall that shows the top sites ranked by bandwidth and I use that as a guide as well. If you don't have a firewall in place just download Monowall or Pfsense and put on a box between the router and the network.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    I have been trying to understand exactly how that works, but now i've forgotten my login. Should it be installed anywhere specific on the network ?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
    If you have a firewall on the network, you can usually pull reports from that regarding bandwidth usage. From there you would also be able to block types of traffic or users. I for example block all the video & social media sites during working hours. I get a report from my firewall that shows the top sites ranked by bandwidth and I use that as a guide as well. If you don't have a firewall in place just download Monowall or Pfsense and put on a box between the router and the network.
    Been thinking about setting up a proxy server, that wouldn't be much different right ?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Sep 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

TwistedPair Guest

Yes the firewall acts as the proxy server, I am not sure if a pure proxy server on its own can filter and block traffic.

Yes the firewall acts as the proxy server, I am not sure if a pure proxy server on its own can filter and block traffic.
    So a possible combination then ? I'm thinking of setting up a machine with the proxy/firewall software, two NICs and see how it goes
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

TwistedPair Guest

Yeh man, as I mentioned before you can use Monowall or PFSense. Both are free and have web interfaces for the configuration.

Yeh man, as I mentioned before you can use Monowall or PFSense. Both are free and have web interfaces for the configuration.
    Endorsed. Other solutions exist as well. This would be your best bet IMO.

http://alternativeto.net/software/m0n0wall/
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".