Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Missing operating system' error

Default 'Missing operating system' error

I get a missing operating system error whenever I turn on a custom built machine with Win XP. My first thought is the MBR (master boot record) got corrupt for some reason. I have no xp cd to run 'fixmbr' command and am trying to find a program that can fix it.

Any suggestions that you have tried?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Both PARAGON and ACRONIS should have tools to fix this issue. Think is the paid versions though. Other things to try - aside from getting an XP ISO and fixing it that way.

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=229209
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Ok so the suggested solutions you mentioned seemed to involve being at the physical pc and using the CD to fix the drive.
    I had taken the drive from the person to work on it, hoping to fix it using an external enclosure.

Thanks khat.

Microsoft has some tips on possibly resolving the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

That wasn't of much help ramesh, but thanks tho.

I did notice tho, that before it ended up at this point, that I had to re-enter the time in the BIOS when I boot up. This was after a long period when the pc was plugged out. I suspected the CMOS battery might be dying, but would that cause this problem as well?

Maybe the CMOS is dying causing the BIOS to lose it's settings and not find the drive?

If it's an old machine then that may be the case. Also - use a meter and check the battery. If the battery is still in the 2V-3V range then it's the board at fault. If you change it with a good battery and the same thing happens then definitely the board.

Check in the BIOS for the drive detection settings. If it's set to MANUAL or if the drive is plugged in on a RAID channel but the settings in the BIOS not set for IDE mode instead of RAID that could also cause it. If that's the default setting. Check and let us know.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

If you have a Windows 98 CD or floppy disk 1, you can fix the MBR using the tools on it.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Waiting on an update?

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Waiting on an update?
    Won't be able to check until I am at the problematic pc tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    If you have a Windows 98 CD or floppy disk 1, you can fix the MBR using the tools on it.
    Why do I have a funny feeling you keep these things around ramesh?

I have Win 3.11 and DOS 6.22 images on my PC. Used EMT4WIN to save those images. Have all versions from there to current as some customers still use those. For all installs I use their original serials, and only use my images when they can't find their recovery discs. Once activated I use Paragon to make an image of the activated system and give them if they don't have their original discs.