Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data plan vs wifi

Default Data plan vs wifi

I finally have to get a smart phone so that I can check my email and my skype messages when I'm over my girl's place. That's the only way my overseas employers communicate with me, so that's my sole reason for upgrading. These data plans seem ridiculously expensive for the limited download capacity that they offer, it seems more practical to get a wimax modem and have unlimited service for the whole month or a day at my convenience.

Is there some great benefit that data plans offer that I'm missing?
    Intel i5 3570k (Unlocked), 16 Gb Ram DDR3, HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB WD Black 2TB HD, Gigabyte Wind-force ATI R270 OC Gpu, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H MB , EVGA 500W PS, 64GB SSD
    i5 3570, ECS H67H2-I, AMD Radeon HD 2GB 6670, Corsair 16 GB PC312800, WD Black 2TB x 2, 64GB SSD

Anyone? Come on, the amount of people on this forum who've been smart phone users for years must have something to contribute.
    Intel i5 3570k (Unlocked), 16 Gb Ram DDR3, HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB WD Black 2TB HD, Gigabyte Wind-force ATI R270 OC Gpu, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H MB , EVGA 500W PS, 64GB SSD
    i5 3570, ECS H67H2-I, AMD Radeon HD 2GB 6670, Corsair 16 GB PC312800, WD Black 2TB x 2, 64GB SSD

Mainly that you don't have to walk with an additional device and you have instant data access at your finger tips. But if you don't mind power up a device when you need to access data on your phone then that is an excellent thing. But ensure that you will have coverage in the areas you go with that modem

Thanks for the reply man, it's appreciated. I see what you're saying, and I can make an informed decision now. The wifi will work for me because I spend a minimum time on the road, I work from home and there is free wifi at my main haunts. So I don't need to have internet access while commuting. I even had opportunity to speak with my baby bro since I first started this thread, and he cancelled his data plan months ago and has been using wifi exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by rookie1178 View Post
    Thanks for the reply man, it's appreciated. I see what you're saying, and I can make an informed decision now. The wifi will work for me because I spend a minimum time on the road, I work from home and there is free wifi at my main haunts. So I don't need to have internet access while commuting. I even had opportunity to speak with my baby bro since I first started this thread, and he cancelled his data plan months ago and has been using wifi exclusively.
    If you need data while on the road you can easily purchase a one day plan and do what you need to. Until data becomes reasonably priced in Ja its best to use other methods.

The data plans are really highway robbery and dudes don't really want to talk because there is nothing they can do about it. A smart phone is pretty much a brick without some form of data unless you reading SMS all day and watching movies. And all free android games time out if you don't connect them to the network every month or so - not sure why. I suggest you get the cheapest data plan you can find and close all the apps that use data so that you don't eat up your allotted bandwidth. Then use WiFi when you reach a hotspot.

For real data plans are ridiculously expensive but it bites even more if your a postpaid Digicel customer cuz you cant get a 1 day or 7 day plan, you gotta take a 30 day plan which is like $1,500 @ the minimum. Bear in mind this is on top of your monthly Flow or Lime internet bill @ home
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

The $100 per day plan (for 500mb) seems to be an excellent prepaid option from Digicel.
    This option is great for persons who don't wish to subscribe for the pricey monthly data plans, because you are hardly on the road, but need it for the few times that they may be away from their (home-work) wifi.

Listen guys, compared to the data plans on American cell networks, what we get for what we pay, isn't all that bad. For about $20 US on digicel I get 2gb for the month (compare that to ATT's $20 for 300mb lol), and most times I dont even use 800mb. If you have sense and understand mobile data, you will know it's not for torrenting or downloading large files or streaming a bagga videos. I use youtube when I need to and download large attachments when necessary. Digicel also allows you to tether without additional cost, it just uses your data allotment which I have no issues with, so if I need data on my ipad or laptop when I'm on the go, I just activate a hotspot from my S4. The speeds are also not bad, sure, they are definately not LTE speeds, but for what it is, it's more than usable.

Overall, I don't have many negative things to say about Digicel mobile data. I travel alot, so I don't always activate data for a month, sometimes I'm only here for a week, so If I am and will be on the road alot, I will activate a one week plan. If I'm home alot, I use wifi and activate a one day plan when needed. In the grand scheme of things, it ain't that bad.
    Google Nexus 6P™

I agree mobile data from Digicel is reasonable at least, I'm using tmobile now and you get "unlimited" data but only a small portion depending on your plan at 4G after that is EDGE
    A+, CCNA, MCP, MCTS, MBA