View Poll Results: How often do you upgrade your GPU?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - 12 months

0 0%
  • 1 - 2 years

1 5.26%
  • 3 - 4 years

3 15.79%
  • Until it can't run games on high anymore

10 52.63%
  • As soon as the next generation is released

0 0%
  • Once it breaks

5 26.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you upgrade your GPU?

i am in 2 categories here "Once it breaks" and "cant run games on high any more" and there should be a category called "Cant play certain games"

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    Go crossfire if you get a good deal!
    Thats what i did i was coming from nvidia something it broke then i went to a xt1950 (still working it couldnt play one of those NFS) and i bought a visiontek 6870 (lifetime warranty) it had an issue after a year and i sent it in they were trying to repair it and i couldnt wait so a friend of mine was coming in so i grabbed a xfx 6870 (lifetime warranty) on sale for i think was 175 there about and thats how i end up in crossfire wish was 2010 or 2011 and these cards are still here they cant run crysis 3 on max (1 card at a time but 2 is good)test it today to see...... rendering is still fine with me even tho i havent drawn anything in some months now.. videos no problem
    Last edited by Virus_UTECH; Oct 31, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
    ***~~~VIRUS~~~***
    Popularity is a job; U work to get in and then work to stay in!!!!!
    Thank God i am famous DONT PLAYER HATE CONGRATULATE
    ASSOCIATES ARE FOR CONVENIENCE

My 6850 has lasted me a good 2 years. About to upgrade to a 7870 to last me another two or more, which is very possible considering my monitor resolution (1440x900).
    Last edited by Vtull; Oct 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM.

have double lifetime warrenty on my old EVGA GTX 460 so dont know when i'm changing it since it runs the following games just fine for me.

Guild wars 2
    league of legends
    nba 2k 13
    BF3
    FiFA 13
    Ghost recon future soldier

those are the only games I spam on my pc and I dont have any issues with them so...ya... guess im still good for now.
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

"Once it breaks" has kicked in. almost 4 years of service (somewhat heavy usage). Not COMPLETELY dead but video keeps chipping out among other things. Just took it out and will use the iGPU till I find a replacement. here is where intel putting GPUs on their processors becomes a great thing. replacement is right at hand and unlikely to fail since it's just the chip. Glad I didn't go AMD.

Been thinking, why can't they make graphics chips like they make CPUs and we just drop them in a board that plugs into the PCIe slot? The motheboard is basically to the CPU what the graphics card board is to the GPU. Odds are the actual chip is fine and some board component gave out.... probably.

If I get the chance to take advantage of the XFX warranty I will. How do you guys get on with that?
    Last edited by semitop; Nov 1, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

I am thinking about upgrading from an on-board AMD Radeon 4290 to a discreet 4890. But I am a bit hesitant because of the power usage of the 4890.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    here is where intel putting GPUs on their processors becomes a great thing. replacement is right at hand and unlikely to fail since it's just the chip. Glad I didn't go AMD.
    I have always thought that AMD's APU solutions (graphic/processor combo) severely out performs Intel's iGPU when it comes to game graphics.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    I have always thought that AMD's APU solutions (graphic/processor combo) severely out performs Intel's iGPU when it comes to game graphics.
    Maybe but APU is weaker in terms of processor. You can't get a discrete processor to bolster the processor in an APU but you can get a discrete GPU to bolster an iGPU. It's just an added benefit to have a GPU included with a strong processor
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

I think it is safe to say that 90% people on here that have a descent desktop PC on here has in mind, and when you can play a game at average frame rate with a weak CPU you can't do so with a weak GPU. I would go for a APU any day and don't have to buy a graphic on buying a Intel cpu with gpu that can barely play games that came integrated in windows.
    Furthermore I don't support a company that is evil.

I bought one of the best FM1 Gigabyte mobo paired with a 3870k quad core APU for my son as they came out and he play every game there is.

Any company that pay people not to sell a competitor product are evil of the worst kind in my book. My two sons and a daughter and myself all are proud AMD system owners
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

In one of my pc's I'm running a 2.7ghz Intel i7 and dual AMD 6870s. Haven't used this pc in awhile and it's kicking the teeth outta BF4. It's been 2.5 yrs since I got this computer. Since I have a newer more powerful pc, this doesn't get as much use as b4 but I see nothing wrong with these GPU's currently that warrants a change.
    Best pc combos I've had are AMD CPU Nvidia GPU and AMD GPU Intel CPU.

I woulda chosen once it breaks, but chose as soon as it can't run games on high instead because all mine that I have owned so far give out by the time it's time for a big update anyways lol.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow