Thread: LIME's network upgraded on NE coast?

Default LIME's network upgraded on NE coast?

It was surprising to see a nearby town associated with my IP address today. Usually that town would be Kingston.

I remember reading that geolocation did not work well on some networks because the ISP used some inferior/low-quality routing/switching/relay equipment.

So, what sprung this upgrade? Only 2 answers come to mind:

1. There is going to be an operation/witchhunt soon for "copyright violators".
    2. LIME fibre coming to St. Mary!

There is more money to be made in the former by these "mini" corporations here. So, people, if you don't have legit, registered, non-pirated software, Santa Clauses coming to town with a legal clause just for you! Our ISPs and MSPs gave them a very thorough list, and they have checked it more than twice.

Do you think it is time to encrypt that which should be encrypted and anonymize that which should be hidden?

Doubt it would be software. Only the movie and music industries are going crazy over this. At least they are the most likely and unless they are planning to launch services here to allow affordable purchasing... lol... that wasn't even their approach in the states so highly doubtful. They'd just come screaming at us with no solution in mind.

LIME likely just added a major node of some sort near you.

Its unsettling not knowing what exactly your ISP is watching. It's obvious they don't consider your traffic private, so what liberties are they taking? Who is taking those liberties? Why do they think phone calls etc. are different from internet traffic anyway?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

USENET USENET USENET, enough said
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by -=KzR.Erasor=- View Post
    USENET USENET USENET, enough said
    Is server|client really the future? How do you know they are not just allowing this news server technology to grow rampant because it is more easily controlled?

Unless they are willing to buy hardware to break SSL encryption, the only thing they will know is that traffic is going from me to my server and back. Not whats being sent
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by -=KzR.Erasor=- View Post
    Unless they are willing to buy hardware to break SSL encryption, the only thing they will know is that traffic is going from me to my server and back. Not whats being sent
    They don't have to break it. How about switching certificates? Do you verify your root certificates? Do you know who owns the authority that issues your certificates? Why do you trust a stranger telling you that you may trust them and other strangers? Do you have your own Web of Trust? I can only imagine that standard SSL is already broken. Unless you yourself are involved in creating certificates and keys, typical SSL encryption remains a false god.

Do all realize that your ISP always knows your IP address and location no matter the time or day? LIME, Flow, Digicel or any ISP has geo-location built into there systems for years so no new software required. I don't think any of them care about what you are downloading right now, just how much bandwidth you are using. Quit worrying about it. When they decide to do it I think will give ample warning anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dspjm28 View Post
    Do all realize that your ISP always knows your IP address and location no matter the time or day? LIME, Flow, Digicel or any ISP has geo-location built into there systems for years so no new software required. I don't think any of them care about what you are downloading right now, just how much bandwidth you are using. Quit worrying about it. When they decide to do it I think will give ample warning anyway.
    Knowing all details of my transit from point A to B is different and more serious than nowing the vehicle I started with from point A. It is possible to unlink your router's ip address the deeper into the web you go.