Thread: Google Voice Numbers Getting Hijacked by Carriers

Default Google Voice Numbers Getting Hijacked by Carriers

A friend let me know a couple hours ago that she had to get a new GV number as someone else was using it. She's had her GV number for 5 months now, and we frequently communicate through calls and texts with it. However today someone told her that they called her number and got another person instead. I called her just last night and it was OK, but when she told me today I tried again while she was signed out. The first couple times I only got Google's recorded message, then a man answered after trying a few more times who said he'd gotten that number 2 months ago.

Didn't get to ask him who his carrier is, cuz he was pretty pissed about getting calls (and probably texts) that weren't for him. Tried to be a "good netizen" and call him again to tell him that he may be missing calls/messages meant for him and he should go check it out, but he hung up saying it's HIS personal number. Some people jus dunce nuh baxide.

Seems he only gets calls when she's not logged in or doesn't have internet, and/or the call somehow gets redirected. She still gets at least some texts too. I did some searching and found that this problem has been around for a while now. I need to make sure this doesn't happen to me, cuz many people have my number. And for all of you here who are using Google Voice #s, beware; someone else could suddenly start getting calls/messages meant for you...

Someone else had a phone activated w/ the same number as my google voice number
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Or maybe just maybe Joe/Oral answered the phone..... sorry i couldn't resist...
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    LOL that's a good one. Joe or Oral...........lol
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    Lol. Nah. Nutten like dat. Friend, NOT GF.......
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Been using google voice for a while now without any issues what i do know is that if you had disconnected your google number for a period of time someone else will get it. If you don't reconnect soon enough
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.

Been using GV for w while. Never happened to me, but I am pretty much always logged in since I have a OBi110 . Too bad Google is gonna start blocking this kind of integration next year.