Thread: Meet Sol, The $300 Solar-Powered Laptop

Default Meet Sol, The $300 Solar-Powered Laptop

True, Sol will not impress anybody under the hood, as it was built for costs instead of speed. The 1.86 Ghz dual-core processor, an Intel Atom, is only OK, it’s got 320GB of space, and it’s rocking 2 to 4GB of RAM. The display, the inputs and outputs, they’re all pretty standard, although this does come with a cellular modem, GPS, and Bluetooth 4.0 built in as well as standard WiFi. Oh, and needless to say, the software is all Ubuntu and open-source, since that’s free. In other words, about what you’d expect from a $300 computer.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/08/...ed-laptop.html

I WANT ONE!!!! Works out nice for trips to JA weh JPS BADMIND!!!!

So hole on. Mi affi go tek some seerus sun bun fi use dis?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

This is good in theory and I do believe it is worth it just based on the specs and not taking into account reliability.
    I am concerned as to how internal and external components will last over time when exposed to direct sunlight for 2 hours per day.
    It is also troubling that I have not seen any even similarly speced laptops in the same price range that use power.
    All in all I think it is a step in the right direction.