Thread: Edward Snowden's not the story. The fate of the internet is

Default Edward Snowden's not the story. The fate of the internet is

Repeat after me: Edward Snowden is not the story. The story is what he has revealed about the hidden wiring of our networked world. This insight seems to have escaped most of the world's mainstream media, for reasons that escape me but would not have surprised Evelyn Waugh, whose contempt for journalists was one of his few endearing characteristics. The obvious explanations are: incorrigible ignorance; the imperative to personalise stories; or gullibility in swallowing US government spin, which brands Snowden as a spy rather than a whistleblower.
    source - http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...th-of-internet

It's been known forever that your activities can be traced back to you. For complete anonymity you'd have to be unplugged. I don't mean wireless.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Is it that your activities can be traced back to you, or that other humans are actively pursuing your online footprint to track both you and your relations? It is wrong. The information about you and who is related to you is not used to help you. If you lose your cell or someone kills you or your relative, do you think they give a damn that their collected data would be beneficial? They had an experiment where they went to Pakistan to kill their most wanted, using tracked information. They were able to capture him alive but they did not. Do you think it was for the benefit of all? It was to establish a norm that it was OK to judge, jury and execute without due process. Because everybody was OK with Laden's murder, they are now free to do whatever they want as long as a majority agreed to it, which is what has happened to Schwartz, Manning, Snowden and others yet to be named. Because P2P is not illegal, but by swaying the crowd, a norm will come in place that makes it so. Same thing with decisions here and elsewhere: smoking ban had massive support from the public, making it a norm. What happens when they decide that all males should get their anus tested to determine sexual orientation?

If I want to collect information about Mr. Ballmer, or Meisters Koch their are laws that disallow that. But it is ok to farm your data? Someone needs to press the reset button and wipe this system of things clean...