Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chromecast costs just $35

@owen

Yeah but as a tinker and developer also, i take the delight in the fact that the SDK is free and the source code being released under AOSP. With other developers this is the case also because they are using their time to add Chromecast support to other projects.

"Koushik Dutta the guy behind ClockworkMod Recovery, Helium, ROM Manager, Tether" he has already started. And his time ought to be valuable considering the projects he is already involved with.

The XBMC community has already started discussions and work on how to add Chromecast support to that platform. See here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169737

The devs for Plex seem optismistic about adding support for their platform

Also so are the devs for HBOGo, Hulu, Spotify, Vimeo and RedBox.

So its not as if devs are ignoring the device and considering it has been out for 5 days, it seems to be doing well as far as adoption is concerned.

Most importantly, the device does not have to be rooted or hacked, if the video service you want to use already has the "Cast" feature implemented.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

So yeah, this cast is not a "feature" of the device it is a API that comes with the SDK which is probably a part of the Android stack. The device is probably just a android phone. So the device only talks to things that use the API - an API which is controlled by google. The devs at HULU etc are bound/paid to makes apps for every platform on the market, I would not consider them to be "tinker-ers". But as you said, its too early to tell.

All I have is initial impressions. When you build something with this free SDK I will be glad to test it out.

https://developers.google.com/cast/downloads/

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    So yeah, this cast is not a "feature" of the device it is a API that comes with the SDK which is probably a part of the Android stack. The device is probably just a android phone. So the device only talks to things that use the API - an API which is controlled by google.The devs at HULU etc are bound/paid to makes apps for every platform on the market, I would not consider them to be "tinker-ers". But as you said, its too early to tell.

All I have is initial impressions. When you build something with this free SDK I will be glad to test it out.

https://developers.google.com/cast/downloads/
    The "cast-ing" is the main idea the device is built around. This feature is accessed thru the APIs provided by the SDK. It is not a part of the Andriod stack; Its more a part of the HTML5 stack. It would be a very limited phone. The devs at HULU will only release apps for platforms with a huge user base (no app for BB10). The devs of XBMC, XDA, etc are not bound to makes apps for every platform on the market. Those devs out to be considered tinker-ers (they are not paid). Yeah, it is early.

I'll take it you are getting a Chromecast.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Default Hulu Is Coming to Chromecast

Chromecast launched with Netflix support, and now Hulu is working on bringing Chromecast support to its iOS and Android apps.

There is no official date as to when it's coming but a Hulu rep said it's "actively working on it" with Google. Technically, you can already cast Hulu to your TV through the device in a browser tab, and Hulu said it's okay with that. But this deal would obviously bring Hulu's services to Chromecast in an official capacity.

Source

To quote a online commenter who said it best...

...and in just over a week, with a device that few people actually even have their hands on yet, Google has just managed to become the new standard for pushing content to a TV.

Take note media and technology companies. All it takes is making something cheap and platform agnostic, and you can easily take over the market. Keeping your walled approaches may lock people into purchasing your stuff, but adoption rates will always suffer as a result, and adoption rates are what set the standards.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Maybe I was wrong about RasPi starting the craze first. But behold what they hath wrought!
    http://goo.gl/qpk1Dq

I stand corrected. Chromecast is much different from RasPi. But the vendor-lock is going to be a killer! {JPS and MS, I am looking at y'all!}
    Last edited by carey; Aug 3, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

I would prefer a miracast dongle it send entire screen on phone or laptop to TV.
    Like Wireless HdMI

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...t-work-anyway/
    Your phone has to support wifi direct