Thread: Mobile development

Default Mobile development

I'm curious as to whether the community thinks mobile development (Android, iOS, BlackBerry, WP, Firefox, etc.) is being adequately represented and discussed on the forums and if these topics should be given first class status.

The boards currently listed under Software Development have remained pretty much unchanged for a long time. Over the last decade there has been a seismic shift in the focus, development and deployment of apps. Many startups have adopted a Mobile First strategy as their way to profitability, and as you can see from this link, mobile is front and center for developers today (2 of the top 3 languges are as a result of mobile development efforts). With this being the case, I can't help but think this key area is being underrepresented.

You may feel the centralized discussion of these topics is unnecessary and that the quintessential discussion forums for each of these platforms already exist (eg. StackOverflow) and that's perfectly valid. I'm just wondering if this is an oversight, or if persons just really don't have an interest.
    Last edited by CKnight; Jul 12, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
    -I didn't spel chek.
    The stuff I do

This is a good post, this a forward thinking post.

I would like to say that mobile development (or any type of development) is not being adequately discussed on this forum.

You are more likely to get an active discussion on if "the Galaxy S4 is better that the Blackberry Pearl", than on the merits XCode vs. Eclipse.

Last night i was browsing the "Software Developement" section looking at old discussions/questions on programming languages and such; i missed those glory days.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

I don't think its a problem of representation. It seems that there are just not enough people actually producing any meaningful output. Its evident all over the web, most obvious on facebook and twitter; people spend all day retweeting and posting articles from reddit instead of actually writing articles and demos themselves.

Another point is most mobile work is often just another favour of Java or C on top of heavy and complicated API hacking. It no longer facilitates good discussion because at the end of the day its you against a bloated framework. And mobile work takes A LONG TIME!

I don't really see activity improving in these areas.

Unless you need help with something, there isn't usually a reason to go discussing development IMO. The people typically qualified and interested are too busy coding or doing something otherwise related.
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Thanks for the perspective.
    -I didn't spel chek.
    The stuff I do