Thread: Help me fix grub

Default Help me fix grub

I have managed to get linux mint on my machine but after 5 days of reading forum post and trying random pieces of linux code I am still not able to get my machine to boot. There are a couple of issues with I hope can be resolved.

1. When I start my machine I am brought to a grub screen that has this: grub> in which I have to enter :
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-[version stuff here] [parameters here]
    initrd /boot/initrd-[version stuff here].img
    boot

2. After I do that I am brought to a screen that has a localhost.localdomain login
    I am not able to get pass this screen even though I know the username and password I had used when setting up the linux mint installation.

I am stuck here. I do not want to have to go back to windows.
    "...men are that they might have joy."
    Nephi

I'm guessing you don't want to have to reinstall? And if you're new to Linux why not try a different flavor like straight Debian or Ubuntu or OpenSUSE?

If you had files on your install that you need access to just use the bootable media to get to it.

The link below has information on how you need to proceed to get your things back working. My guess is you're booting the wrong kernel and didn't delete the old ones after updates - or you're booting the "recovery" kernel which is why your user/pass is not working. You may have to do over the GRUB to get it working again.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

If it was Ubuntu there'd be some automated ways to get your stuff back working.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

I have already tried that tutorial but it still does not fix my issues. I have also tried the ubuntu boot repair . I could not get it to run as it should.
    Last edited by leocrawf; Jul 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
    Nephi

Quote Originally Posted by leocrawf View Post
    I have already tried that tutorial but it still does not fix my issues. I have also tried the ubuntu boot repair . I could not get it to run as it should.
    There is a grub repair cd that i found on the net some time ago. It "automagically" fixed some grub loading issues i had at the time. Not sure of the name but you should be able to find it with some intensive googling.

Quote Originally Posted by WanabeR View Post
    There is a grub repair cd that i found on the net some time ago. It "automagically" fixed some grub loading issues i had at the time. Not sure of the name but you should be able to find it with some intensive googling.
    I am just going to forget about that distro and try lubunto instead.
    Nephi

I have managed to get linux mint on my machine but after 5 days of reading forum post and trying random pieces of linux code I am still not able to get my machine to boot. There are a couple of issues with I hope can be resolved.

1. When I start my machine I am brought to a grub screen that has this: grub> in which I have to enter :
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-[version stuff here] [parameters here]
    initrd /boot/initrd-[version stuff here].img
    boot
    This is easily repairable after you get to log in.
    2. After I do that I am brought to a screen that has a localhost.localdomain login
    I am not able to get pass this screen even though I know the username and password I had used when setting up the linux mint installation.

I am stuck here. I do not want to have to go back to windows.
    Could you try this? Add init=/bin/sh to the kernel parameters. If successful, type passwd. Type your new root password, then reboot. If it worked, then we fix GRUB. It will take about 5 easy steps.

Well after many hours of trying numerous flavours of linux distros , I have finally settled for peppermint os www.peppermintos.com . It works great with no grub issues. It has given my pc a new lease on life. Learning and loving linux. I dont even have a windows partition on my machine .
    Nephi

Well after many hours of trying numerous flavours of linux distros , I have finally settled for peppermint os www.peppermintos.com . It works great with no grub issues. It has given my pc a new lease on life. Learning and loving linux. I dont even have a windows partition on my machine .
    Does this distro work with the efi boot. That's on some the windows 8 machines.

usually when i have an problem such as yours with grub i just boot from puppy and use its update grub feature which always works for me