Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Mail Account Hacked?

Default E-Mail Account Hacked?

Recently someone asked me if I sent them an e-mail, I told them no but they insisted they got a message from me.
    They showed it to me and it was from my email address, and my name on it. It said: ''How are you?" - and there was a referral link below it (don't remember what site it's from, I'll ask again later to be sure)
    I logged into my account and checked the Sent folder and there wasn't anything in it.

Checked the recent activity log and found that my account was accessed from Chile 3 days ago.

I already changed my password, is there anything else I need to do to be sure my account is safe?

Report it to your email provider, they will want to know about this.
    Enable 2-Step authentication, if possible.
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Report it to your email provider, they will want to know about this.
    Enable 2-Step authentication, if possible.
    2-Step Authentication is the way to go
    i do it on all my accounts.

Don't forget to change your password.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Changed the password, deleted all contacts (just in case it happens again, they won't get spammed). Can't add the 2-step verification, it just not working for me. Added the phone number but I'm not getting the SMS with the verification code.

Change your email provider if you can't get 2 step verification working, in these days its important
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Change your email provider if you can't get 2 step verification working, in these days its important
    You assume it's the email provider is the problem. I haven't added this 2 step verification for 2 reasons:
    1. I don't want these email providers to be having my phone number.
    2. Text messages are not being sent to my phone on Digicel network.

I use to be able to get text messages from google calendar, but Digicel seemed to have stopped that feature.
    Don't know about Lime.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

You don't have to use your number. Both google and microsoft uses a authenticator where a time based code is generated. There's an app for it even if you do not have mobile service.

They having your number is the least, they probably already do.

Google, yahoo and outlook all have 2 step verification but yahoo doesn't have the Authenticator
    Last edited by Dre'; Jun 22, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
    Currently: HP Touchsmart 14t
    SM-G935FD - S7 Edge dual sim: Android 7 Official
    The 3 C's in life: Choice, Chance, Change. You must make the Choice, to take the Chance, if you want anything in life to Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre' View Post
    You don't have to use your number. Both google and microsoft uses a authenticator where a time based code is generated. There's an app for it even if you do not have mobile service.
    So instead of using my number, you can use an app to do the authentication? Is that what your saying?

Google, yahoo and outlook all have 2 step verification but yahoo doesn't have the Authenticator
    They do. I remember reading it in the news. And I am looking at the option now to turn it on, for my own yahoo account.

They having your number is the least, they probably already do.

Should have mentioned I'm using Yahoo earlier.
    I finally got the verification to work, got the code sent to my phone within 2 seconds of clicking it (which is way faster than I expected lol).

So now:
    Each time you sign in from an unrecognized device or computer, you will have to answer a security question or enter a verification code that we'll send to your mobile phone via SMS text message or phone call. This second sign-in verification (after your password) will deter unauthorized people from your account. However, if you choose the "Use only my mobile phone number for verification" option, you will not be given the option to answer a security question but will have to enter a verification code that we'll send to your mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by aejr120 View Post
    Should have mentioned I'm using Yahoo earlier.
    I finally got the verification to work, got the code sent to my phone within 2 seconds of clicking it (which is way faster than I expected lol).

So now:
    Which mobile service provider you using?