Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Investigating a Security/Privacy Breach

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFactor1 View Post
    put it this way... my new slogan is.... It's 2013 - the only privacy you have for now is in your mind...
    So true...

If you have nude pictures on a phone, computer or tablet, be prepared for someone to get access to them.

All it takes is for a hacker to find an insecure web site. This is often a reputable, well known site. He can load some code on the site. When you browse to the site, your device can get infected. He now has access to your device.

I am constantly amazed by the amount of personal information people put on Facebook. That is an issue for another post.

Could be through net work access

Bluetooth hack

A keylogger physical or sent via email once you open it virus attaches to your pc

A person Just need to get a hold of your PC or phone for 30 secs and that's it. Because i know about these stuff and use to use some of them before i changed my lifestyle that's why i don't let anyone who i consider tech savvy touch my phone or pc. you have to be careful of things like these.

It could also be a simple mistake the GF or the guy may have given someone who they considered trust worthy access to one of the devices. Sometimes people carry pc come give me to fix and when i go to backup files pure naked pictures of themselves and sometimes video during crazy stuff. So just be careful as MaxFactor1 said if you want privacy keep it to yourselves
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    The fact that it was sent to persons at work says it may have been done by someone there. If it's a work laptop that is. Bear in mind that Skype tries to synch your data across the different machines you've logged into (history) and if he signed in at work as well it could be stored on the work PC.

Other options could be as pointed out above. Scanning and checking for anything on the system should be done immediately. Also - acquiring something like TrueCrypt and encrypting all "personal" media that he has of himself and his GF should be done. Get the app (or others like it) and do it on the laptop offline. Clean the Skype cache and use apps like Everything to ensure that all of the information is found.

Lots of stuff available to act as back-door to get in. If it was work there's a number of tools available for administration which could be abused. If it's at home then firewall information needs to be looked through to see any historical information. Open ports. Unusual traffic when all systems are idle. Stuff like that. The usual precautions apply - change passwords and whatnot.
    The only skype sync i just chat logs, which means that the person who has got the pics had some form of access to the machine. I hope it was not his job's PC he was using for this stuff though, that is a blatant no no. But as Khat and the rest of us said have the PC cleaned up etc. Have him look into Truecrypt and if he/she is not a technical person have them BUY mywinlocker which is the same a Truecrypt just a bunch friendlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    This is what I'm thinking too. But I'm still wondering about the difference between the original and the combo. There are the lines and coloring to think about (which aren't in the Facebook photo), and one of them has the remainder of a grey border around it that is not in the original, as if the picture was captured with some kind of camera device. Not sure how to describe the look of it.
    Hmm sounds like he was looking at screen when he shot the pics, did his PC have a password on it (whether weak or strong)?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFactor1 View Post
    put it this way... my new slogan is.... It's 2013 - the only privacy you have for now is in your mind...
    Interesting way to put it... but the year is off by quite a bit 11-12 years off, if you get what I am pointing at..

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    So true...

If you have nude pictures on a phone, computer or tablet, be prepared for someone to get access to them.

All it takes is for a hacker to find an insecure web site. This is often a reputable, well known site. He can load some code on the site. When you browse to the site, your device can get infected. He now has access to your device.

I am constantly amazed by the amount of personal information people put on Facebook. That is an issue for another post.
    Not necessarily, just BE PREPARED to go the extra length to secure them. May I suggest EDS Lite and EDS Pro, both of which are Truecrypt type apps for android... You can even open a truecrypt vault with it. And you know the ones for PC are Truecrypt and MyWinLocker and how could I forget Bit Locker!

No need to look far or think as far as skype the person is at the work place he as access to the he company think thats were you should start maybe if he had sent it to her friends outside of the company or on Fakebook you could think otherwise but i think its its within.
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.