Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The XBOX One

So are the people on techja are pirates?
    There have been veiled admissions to piracy in this very thread.

Microsoft need some other means of revenue in order to match google and facebook.
    They have 73 billion dollars in the bank, and a Triple A rating if they feel like issuing some bonds. Never mind that 30 percent profit margin, and the fact that they have exceeded revenue estimates, doing 20 billion compared to 17 billion same quarter last year. And that's with a three quarter billion dollar fine from the EU 's Trade Commission. So I'd say that they're pretty nice.

If anything, this is the reason for MS current suckage:

The story of Microsoft’s lost decade could serve as a business-school case study on the pitfalls of success. For what began as a lean competition machine led by young visionaries of unparalleled talent has mutated into something bloated and bureaucracy-laden, with an internal culture that unintentionally rewards managers who strangle innovative ideas that might threaten the established order of things.

Yes, as far as money is concerned, "Stealing it" and trading it with a friend are the same things. You (not you you) don't get to cry about how your imagine piracy hurts the developers and gaming, then up and trade games.
    This is a bit of a false equivalence. Trading is a one - to -one transfer of a game that is usually already beaten, thus does not affect the companies balance sheets due to the fact that they have already accounted for used games in their estimates, and like the movie industry, depend on first week sales for initial profits.

Piracy is a whole other beast. Games can get pirated BEFORE they are officially released, with transfers being one-to-as-any-seeds-as -you-can-upload-to. This is encouraged by websites that require thousands of servers and gigs of bandwidth. Thus piracy is a business, it depends on money paid directly for faster downloads, and advertisement revenue. All of this based on providing games that they did not spend a penny to make or buy. There is no comparison between the two.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post

face ..... meet palm....
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    There have been veiled admissions to piracy in this very thread.

They have 73 billion dollars in the bank, and a Triple A rating if they feel like issuing some bonds. Never mind that 30 percent profit margin, and the fact that they have exceeded revenue estimates, doing 20 billion compared to 17 billion same quarter last year. And that's with a three quarter billion dollar fine from the EU 's Trade Commission. So I'd say that they're pretty nice.

If anything, this is the reason for MS current suckage:

This is a bit of a false equivalence. Trading is a one - to -one transfer of a game that is usually already beaten, thus does not affect the companies balance sheets due to the fact that they have already accounted for used games in their estimates, and like the movie industry, depend on first week sales for initial profits.

Piracy is a whole other beast. Games can get pirated BEFORE they are officially released, with transfers being one-to-as-any-seeds-as -you-can-upload-to. This is encouraged by websites that require thousands of servers and gigs of bandwidth. Thus piracy is a business, it depends on money paid directly for faster downloads, and advertisement revenue. All of this based on providing games that they did not spend a penny to make or buy. There is no comparison between the two.
    who cares about estimates? And how do you even know that they have done that? How do they estimate the number of used games and can't estimate the number of pirated copies? What happens to people who wait out the first week because they can get the game for cheaper used later?

Thousands of servers for piracy websites? Torrent sites aren't that complicated afaik. Anyway, you just said that piracy financially benefits certain businesses that rent out these servers and ISPs that rent out these connections to consumers. You want those businesses to die out for your assumptions?
    All rights reserved.

who cares about estimates? And how do you even know that they have done that?
    When they turn out to be accurate enough to use as in Profit and Loss statements, then we should care.

ow do they estimate the number of used games and can't estimate the number of pirated copies?
    As I stated earlier in this thread, they are quite capable of estimating pirated copies by checking torrent sites, illegal downloads, server log-ins etc. And they have help from companies like the highly respected NPD Group to do market research.

What happens to people who wait out the first week because they can get the game for cheaper used later?
    Someone already paid for that.

Thousands of servers for piracy websites? Torrent sites aren't that complicated afaik
    Thousands of servers for the industry in general, remember, you have torrents and file-hosters like the former Mega-Upload.

Oh, don't joke with those torrent systems , them IP lists are killer. Piratebay uses 31 Linux servers and is a real hog.

From Ars:

Sunde says that claims made by the Swedish government and IFPI pertaining to the revenue generated by advertising on the site—which include estimates that The Pirate Bay's annual revenue exceeds $3 million—overstate the real situation. Although Sunde did not provide Ars with specific financial details regarding The Pirate Bay's operational expenses, he did argue that the site's high bandwidth, power, and hardware costs eliminate the potential for profit. The Pirate Bay, he says, may ultimately be operating at a loss.
    You want to run a pirate site , you need serious infrastructure, and you have to pay for that somehow.

Anyway, you just said that piracy financially benefits certain businesses that rent out these servers and ISPs that rent out these connections to consumers. You want those businesses to die out for your assumptions?
    What assumptions? Guys like Kim Dotcom flaunt the fact that they take other people's work, give it away for free (or for a premium cost) and run ads against that work. I am not speculating , but simply repeating facts that I have linked to and anyone can independently confirm. Piracy is not some techies "sticking it to the man", but a multi-billion dollar international racket that not only steals from big businesses, but exploits small artists and developers - you know, like those from Jamaica?

It keeps getting worse for (Nu)Microsoft.

So i noticed that Jamaica is not on the list of 21 countries approved for the launch of the XBONE (what a surprise).
    For the guys here who live in Jamaica that pre-ordered the XBONE, how are are going to get around this?
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

jomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Satanforce View Post
    It keeps getting worse for (Nu)Microsoft.

WHAT the hell, LOOOOOOOOOOOL

couldnt one just cover the webcam, and the mic, or just plug it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    WHAT the hell, LOOOOOOOOOOOL

couldnt one just cover the webcam, and the mic, or just plug it out!
    Console won't work without it. MS went FULL retard on this one. That requirement makes no sense normally but they are going to use it for DRM i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    So i noticed that Jamaica is not on the list of 21 countries approved for the launch of the XBONE (what a surprise).
    For the guys here who live in Jamaica that pre-ordered the XBONE, how are are going to get around this?
    doubt many did. Unless ms blocks countries not approved they'd get it the same way they get everything else (including the ps4). Have it shipped in.
    All rights reserved.

Just a side note but I am unfriending anybody who gets a xboxOne. seriously. total boycott.