Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBerry to begin offering BBM as standalone app to iOS and Android this summer

Default BlackBerry to begin offering BBM as standalone app to iOS and Android this summer

Thorsten Heins just broke what has to be the biggest news out of BBLive this morning: BBM is breaking out of its walled garden. Starting this summer, users running iOS 6 and Android ICS or higher will be able to download the BBM app for free and join in the messaging experience so highly curated by BlackBerry. Initially, however, only the messaging and group features will be accessible for outside users, but throughout the year, the company hopes to add BBM voice, BBM channels, screen sharing and video capabilities. You'll have to hold tight for a more specific launch date, as Heins didn't announce any concrete timing. But if you've waited for this news for years, what's a few more months?
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/14/b...e-app-ios-and/
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

I think RIM just committed suicide.....why would anyone want to buy a bb now if the main feature that everyone uses on it will now be available on more popular phones

BlackBerry and whats app is going to Die a slow death now
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; May 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Y did blackberry give up the single thread of hope.. or is this some marketting hoax.. o well
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

blackberry has run its course and is already dying imo. and who would want to use bbm on their android when whatsapp is 1000 times better than bbm.

jomo Guest

BlackBerry z10 for sale!!!!!!

Lol

I have waited for thus sat trust meeeeee

Now I just need a decent android phone

Leaning towards the htc one

MORE QUOTES FROM THE WEB

BLACKBERRY'S KILLER APP WON'T BE AN EXCLUSIVE ANYMORE

"Why are we doing this now? It's a statement of confidence," Heins went on. He said that BlackBerry 10's prospects are "so strong that we are confident that BBM can become an independent messaging solution." In a press release, BlackBerry notes that BBM's successful move to iOS and Android depends upon the approval of Apple and Google. Assuming things go according to plan, BBM will face no shortage of competition from WhatsApp and other messaging apps that already enjoy enormous success across mobile platforms.
    It’s clear BlackBerry is finally waking up. They are no longer the big dog in the mobile war. If they are to survive, the company needs to forge new relationships and learn to work well with the two reigning platforms. This move to put BBM on Android and iOS is a big step forward. BlackBerry might actually have a chance.

"For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service. BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We're excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community," said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem, at BlackBerry.

BBM is loved by customers for its "D" and "R" statuses, which show up in chats to let people know with certainty that their message has been delivered and read. It provides customers with a high level of control and privacy over who they add to their contact list and how they engage with them, as invites are two-way opt-in. iOS and Android users would be able to add their contacts through PIN, email, SMS or QR code scan, regardless of platform. Android users would also be able to connect using a compatible NFC-capable device.

BBM has more than 60 million monthly active customers, with more than 51 million people using BBM an average of 90 minutes per day. BBM customers collectively send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day, nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps. Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are.

Today, BlackBerry also announced BBM Channels, a new social engagement platform within BBM that will allow customers to connect with the businesses, brands, celebrities and groups they are passionate about. BlackBerry plans to add support for BBM Channels as well as voice and video chatting for iOS and Android later this year, subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play.

If approved by Apple and Google, the BBM app will be available as a free download in the Apple(R) App Store(SM) and Google Play store. Additional details about system requirements and availability will be announced closer to the launch.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bbm...05-14-11173451

What's your feeling on the move by Blackberry????/

Suicide!!!! Poor RIM. My opinion...this is the worst thing they can do to Blackberry. You are giving away the one unique thing that makes a BB a BB...
    Last edited by Cultus; May 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

Quote Originally Posted by xklusivve View Post
    blackberry has run its course and is already dying imo. and who would want to use bbm on their android when whatsapp is 1000 times better than bbm.
    I would beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cultus View Post
    Suicide!!!! Poor RIM. My opinion...this is the worst thing they can do to Blackberry. You are giving away the one unique thing that makes a BB a BB...
    It's a social thing. All US corporations are betting the house on the mobile connect with customers (mobile users) and the benefits derived from doing so and BB getting with the program early this time around.
    Last edited by Cultus; May 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    BlackBerry z10 for sale!!!!!!

Lol

I have waited for thus sat trust meeeeee

Now I just need a decent android phone

Leaning towards the htc one
    Nice choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cultus View Post

This is not suicide. They are already losing out to whatsapp and chaton, mainly because bbm is not available to others.

Smart move I think.

Nothing is unique about bbm. It is an im.
    Last edited by Cultus; May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality