Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After Computer Science Degree what's next?

Default After Computer Science Degree what's next?

I finished my degree this month. What the route to take from here on out. And i'm confused.

1.. I completed a degree in Computer Science with Communications Emphasis.
    2.. I prefer programming more than communications.. (and i did Communications Emphasis..)
    3.. I really like programming

Whats the next route to take in terms of certifications, because there's no employer out there that employing me based on my degree and love for programming.

You're replies would greatly be appreciated.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

Check digicel .
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

I would start looking into some certifications, while sending out your resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Utech22 View Post
    Check digicel .
    Sent in resumes already... hope to get a call back.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    I would start looking into some certifications, while sending out your resumes.
    Could you say, like what certificates.. dont wanna have a folder full of em.. the ones that are in demand.. locally?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; May 11, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Pc= Hp dv6t

CompTIA A+/Network+. Ethical Hacking. Etc.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    CompTIA A+/Network+. Ethical Hacking. Etc.
    ^^^ this is a good place to start.. look into maybe Cisco and Microsoft stuff as well. You may not be able to get a job in your degree field off the bat but once you get your foot in the door at a company you can always change positions later on.

In JA, having a certs like A+/Network + go a long way and i definitely recommend adding some, especially if you didn't have internship or previous job in that field to gain work experience from. Improves your chances of landing a job even though you have a degree, since you are fresh out of school.

Please oh please can we start moving away from this way of thinking...not a single response pointing this person in the direction of doing something for himself.

@mobile_fan_2k5 - While you're job hunting and have a lot of spare time on your hands I would recommend that you start looking into freelancing - which can make you more than Digicel will offer (while being your own boss). To be effective at freelancing you need to specialize, otherwise you won't stand out. I would recommend that you look into Drupal or Wordpress for web stuff and Android for mobile. There's huge demand for talented developer in those three areas and if you're a talented programmer you should be able to catch on fairly quickly. Best of luck!
    "Fortune Favors the Bold" -Virgil

If you're going to say that you may as well tell him to start looking into getting work overseas. More money for him versus locally.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

OK , Com Sci isn't highly regarded in Jamaica, so unless you plan to find yourself at UTech studying Pharma in a few years , you had better start your own business. Human Resources (bunch of retards) see that and they think you're all theory, like the only thing you can do is Predicate Calculus and Advanced Combinatorics on some piece of paper.

Make sure its something that can work in the third world. I working on a SMS payment system using Python 2.7 with the Twisted library myself. I just need to finish up my business plan and get over to credit union (maybe you guys can help me with some advice). I suggest you do the same.

You said you liked programming. That's not Com Sci talk. Do you like:

• Kernel and system development
    • Mobile Application development
    • Low level and device driver development
    • Embedded systems
    • AI and Machine Learning
    • Scientific Programming and Data Analysis

You know, whats your specialization? What do you like specifically? Show us some code so we can see how nice you are.
    Phone: Nokia 1200 with Satantendo ROM v.3.3
    Laptop: (Pentium III 850 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB)
    Console: Sega Dreamcast
    Check out my blog: http://satanforce.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mobile_fan_2k5 View Post
    I finished my degree this month. What the route to take from here on out. And i'm confused.

1.. I completed a degree in Computer Science with Communications Emphasis.
    2.. I prefer programming more than communications.. (and i did Communications Emphasis..)
    3.. I really like programming

Whats the next route to take in terms of certifications, because there's no employer out there that employing me based on my degree and love for programming.

You're replies would greatly be appreciated.
    options

1. write mobile apps for me and we sell them on play store etc.
    2. leave the country with middle finger in air
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo