Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colocation

Default Colocation

What do you use for colocation services in Jamaica? I'm thinking of getting a machine hosted with a telco connection as well. That way i have a cheap dedicated voip gateway to Jamaica.

lol, cheap, colocation and Jamaica do not fit together in the same sentence.
    you have much to learn about the backwardness of this island.

Regards,
    Pogi Tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    lol, cheap, colocation and Jamaica do not fit together in the same sentence.
    you have much to learn about the backwardness of this island.
    LOL.. we are not backwards. we are technologically challenged! LOL.. colocation?

Colocation services are for those that require complete control over their server configuration.

Colocation is a service in which a company will connect a server that you own to the internet. If you do not already have one, some companies offer to build a server for you. This is the key difference between dedicated servers and colocated servers. In a dedicated environment, the server itself is owned by the web hosting company, whereas in a colocated environment, the server is your own.
    I figure that most local companies cant venture into this sort of business yet. Maybe when the fibre lines are complete.

heh, i'm well aware of what's available on the island. there are plenty of places that do colocation. What's "cheap" to you is different then what is "cheap" to me.

I have always wanted to colocate some servers out here.... they collect dust at my place.

I know a couple persons albeit they are small IT companies who colocate servers at some ISP...For starters you could try N5 Systems or Emoquad...
    Noramally have to form some business relation with same company...In Jamaica we say one Hand wash the other...Basically you help me, I will help you out in return...
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

thanks for your input tech_guru, i will look into it.

digimon Guest

i dont understand this colocation thing. how will it help the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by digimon
    i dont understand this colocation thing. how will it help the owner?
    For a Server that requires 99% uptime its not feasible for the normal Person to run such a server out of his own home or business...
    What colocation offers are things like UPS Systems, direct link to internet backbone, Greater bandwidth availability among other things...
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    I have always wanted to colocate some servers out here.... they collect dust at my place.
    It looks like flow has opened up some options

any info on their colo rates?