Thread: Canonical Gets Back To 'GNOME' For Ubuntu 13.04

Default Canonical Gets Back To 'GNOME' For Ubuntu 13.04

Thursday, April 18, 2013: In a decision that will rejoice Ubuntu users across the world, Canonical has said that the upcoming Ubuntu version 13.04 will have an official 'GNOME' interface. This version will make its debut next week and will please many Linux desktop users, who could not develop any fondness for Canonical's Unity interface.

As noted on thevarguy , GNOME was replaced by Canonical in favour of Unity interface two years ago, which was part of the company's dream to create an 'Ubuntu convergence' platform that will be available across all devices. The interface was reported to have dissatisfied many users, who complained that Unity did not work well on older hardware.
    Read more: http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=104405
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Good stuff. Will test this out as soon as it's released.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Nice. I had to install Gnome-2 on my PC's after upgrading. Good to see they kept it.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

about time if you ask me, hope its permanent

I think you guys misunderstood and the fault is with the article. Ubuntu's default distribution that you get from ubuntu.com is shipping with Unity. The GNOME version is a separate distribution like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and others. This is not actually coming from Canonical but from the community. Canonical recognizing it as an official flavour of Ubuntu is just a formality.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are condemned to quote Henry Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    I think you guys misunderstood and the fault is with the article. Ubuntu's default distribution that you get from ubuntu.com is shipping with Unity. The GNOME version is a separate distribution like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and others. This is not actually coming from Canonical but from the community. Canonical recognizing it as an official flavour of Ubuntu is just a formality.
    That is not the case. The article clearly states:
    With the re-introduction of GNOME, which has been one of the most popular Linux desktop environments for decades, it seems Canonical is trying to satisfy it's 'annoyed' users. Ubuntu 13.04 will be the first version to get GNOME since version 11.04. The version called Ubuntu GNOME has been around as an independent project since last year.
    What they are saying is that Ubuntu Gnome WAS being maintained independently, but will now be the main interface.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

ubun
    Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    That is not the case. The article clearly states:
    The article is clearly wrong.
    g
    What they are saying is that Ubuntu Gnome WAS being maintained independently, but will now be the main interface.
    Wrong. You can download Ubuntu 13.04 beta and see for yourself.

This is what the article is erroneously talking about: http://ubuntugnome.com/

Also, it's shipping with GNOME 3.6 with Gnome Shell, not GNOME 2.
    Last edited by jayrulez; Apr 19, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are condemned to quote Henry Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    ubun

The article is clearly wrong.
    g

Wrong. You can download Ubuntu 13.04 beta and see for yourself.

This is what the article is erroneously talking about: http://ubuntugnome.com/

Also, it's shipping with GNOME 3.6 with Gnome Shell, not GNOME 2.
    Looks like you're correct. Article is erroneously mistaken. Sorry about that guys.
    Canonical is making Ubuntu GNOME an official flavor of Ubuntu. Unity will still be the default desktop UI for Ubuntu.
    Sorry to have gotten anyone's hope up.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008