Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get a thread for perl?

perl is multi platform.

You don't think i'm actualy viewing the techjamaica.com website do you? I am using perl to do the dirty work for me. That way i don't have to view icons, adds, etc. I can type respondes into my perl script for threads and view new messages. Very handy, very powerfull.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Quick question.. how come there are no mods for the programming section?
    We currently don't have a mod assigned to every forum. Where there are no assigned mods, the Super Mods/Admin are the general mods for those forums.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Perl has been around for many years. I can give you the history of perl verbatim, but i'm certain you can handle google

Cool, i know all about perl verbatim, java's regular expression handling came directly from perl.
    to sys admin work perl is often considered a glue language however it can do much more.
    what do u mean glue language? what is it used for mainly?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel
    We currently don't have a mod assigned to every forum. Where there are no assigned mods, the Super Mods/Admin are the general mods for those forums.
    Ha! .. i hope i mod knows when i post some viral code on the forum muhhaaaaa . I'm just joking, i was just wondering if it had anything to do with the popularity of the forum itself? Since its not so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by jjshoe
    Do not be afraid of that which you do not know. Embrace it and turn it into your best ali.
    I agree with you 100%

Only problem, I have too much on my plate right now to go delve into a new language. I have been doing some Python recently, because i had reason: to learn Plone.

I was playing around alot with Perl scripts and plugins for the Mac a few weeks ago. I was trying to get a system notification program working. Installed lots and lots of libraries. Where were you when I needed help Well, now I know a perl programmer.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by jjshoe
    LOL. ur pretty fast with that perl script. u reply in no time. maybe i should give it a try. where can i find it?

well, on linux systems with anal package managers you probably don't want to use cpan, however on my system i use cpan all the time.

a simple cpan -i some::module

it will occasionaly ask a question or two but it will grab all dependencies for that particular perl module, etc. etc.

Yeah, I'm interested too! How do you script your responses?

Ok, you responsed faster than I could reply. I definately have motivation to learn Perl now. I find that the quickest way to get your feet wet in a language is to program something in it. I want to code what you have, the forum tool. Where so I start?

I'm using MacOSX 10.3 Panther. I have Perl 5.8.1 installed. OSX ships with Perl
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

I use the following perl module http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/WWW...W/Mechanize.pm

It's quite simple really.