Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get a thread for perl?

Default What would it take to get a thread for perl?

Anyone have input on this?

I guess a mod will answer your question.. But im all for it, We need more software/progamming forums. But seriously though thats the dullest section on techja, i can count on one hand the ppl i c posting in there.

The programming forums have very low participation and post counts. Adding another programming forum wouldn't be beneficial at all. If they don't fit into any of the categories, you can post it in the General Programming forum.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I dont know any Perl programmers myself. I know Python programmers, but I dont think we will be getting a Python thread anytime soon. The existing threads are for the good mainstream languages and VB.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Wow, in the USA if you plan on doing any systems administration work you had BETTER be fluent in perl.

I should probably mention that i currently work for the number one hospital in the world. I have been in my current position for two+ years and i am about to advance.

There are many many powerfull things that can be done with perl. It's a shame a thread can't be started for it. If there is such low participation it couldn't possibly be that much more work to keep an eye on yet another thread.

For example of the power of perl check out http://www.bigbadbunny.net/weatherbot.txt

It is not commented however it should be fairly straight forward. In thirty six lines of code you have a fully featured irc client that maintains it's connection to an irc server and channel. It checks for any lines that begins with !weather and returns the current temperature in F for the argument provided (zipcode).

Well, the team here are TechJamaica don't believe in creating new forums just because we can. We create new forums because we see a need for it. We don't want to have a bunch of empty forums with 1 or 2 posts. So it's not a matter of more work for the mods.

Wow, in the USA if you plan on doing any systems administration work you had BETTER be fluent in perl.
    Well, that's in the US.
    I hardly see any IT related companies here in Jamaica looking for perl programmers.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quick question.. how come there are no mods for the programming section?

I can take any code you have and re-duce it to 1/10th it's size with perl. Which not only helps with the time it takes to create a new program but it also improves maintainability and maintence costs.

Do not be afraid of that which you do not know. Embrace it and turn it into your best ali.

Quote Originally Posted by jjshoe
    I can take any code you have and re-duce it to 1/10th it's size with perl. Which not only helps with the time it takes to create a new program but it also improves maintainability and maintence costs.
    I have heard a lot about perl and its rising in popularity. What is perl used mainly for? Is it interpreted? multi-platform?

Perl has been around for many years. I can give you the history of perl verbatim, but i'm certain you can handle google

Perl is interpreted but can be compiled. Perl is OO. search.cpan.org is FULL of modules to make the methodology of re-use happen. As i am sure will come as no shock, i would suggest picking up an o`reiley book on perl. When it comes to sys admin work perl is often considered a glue language however it can do much more.

DeCSS, the dvd decryption could be done with seven lines of perl code.

$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$ t=255;@t=map{$_%16or$t^=$c^=( $m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16 -2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h =5;$_=unxb24,join"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$ d=unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d8^($f=$t&($d12^$d4^ $d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e8^($t&($g=($q=$e14&7^$e)^$q*8^$q<<6)) <<9,$_=$t[$_]^ (($h=8)+=$f+(~$g&$t))for@a[128..$#a]}print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

and yet, people claim it's not powerfull.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    I have heard a lot about perl and its rising in popularity. What is perl used mainly for? Is it interpreted? multi-platform?