Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'World's fastest' home internet service hits Japan, 2 Gbps down

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    Don't even remind me about BUFFERING Youtube videos in 2013. To be fair though the 4G on my smartphone performs MUCH better than the home service. I've had 8-10MBs consistently. Shame otherwise for the HOME SERVICE.
    Yuh si all that now! Yuh phone 'mobile' internet connect more consistent than the 'fixed' home modem. That just sound counter-intuitive.

If i had a 8-10MBs connection at home i would cry tears of joy (i have struggled so long with this <4MBs).
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

lol when i had the cpe i usually wonder if this is supposed to be faster than dial up and its this slow, if i had dial now id def go mad lol more time the thing tek a while to load google yo o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx17 View Post
    lol when i had the cpe i usually wonder if this is supposed to be faster than dial up and its this slow, if i had dial now id def go mad lol more time the thing tek a while to load google yo o.O
    lol so true man, I would give dial-up a try again still just to compare google loading
    intel 965GMA

Quote Originally Posted by RZA View Post
    Is full time now ppl stop talk crap bout 1st world vs 3rd world, its a lame duck argument right now . As i've said several times before internet prices in Jamaica are to expensive even tho its regarded as fairly cheap. Am i the only person who realises that the cost of a 2Gbps connection is $51 per month? That works out to about $5,000 per month for us at current exchange rates while Flow is charging $10,955 for a 100Mbps connection
    Back in Napster days, I was paying $5,000 for dial up so seeing that same $5,000 can pay for 2Gbps gets me upset. Who remember when it took hours to download a song?

Quote Originally Posted by techmenace View Post
    Who remember when it took hours to download a song?
    Honestly that was before my time....and im glad it was

Who remember when it took hours to download a song?
    Who remember when you were going to burn those songs to a CD, you would set it to start burn, guh play some football and hope seh it finish burn when yuh come back?
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

good times good times lol
    PC: Windows//Laptop: Linux//Tablet: Blackberry//Smartphone: Android//MP3: Apple

LOL download the new browser plugin> right click>Download Internet
    lol
    right click> download all internet:

Quote Originally Posted by RZA View Post
    Is full time now ppl stop talk crap bout 1st world vs 3rd world, its a lame duck argument right now . As i've said several times before internet prices in Jamaica are to expensive even tho its regarded as fairly cheap. Am i the only person who realises that the cost of a 2Gbps connection is $51 per month? That works out to about $5,000 per month for us at current exchange rates while Flow is charging $10,955 for a 100Mbps connection
    Yup.. robbery... ISPs need to pull up them socks and do better...

Listen I don't care! I am still SNAILING on Digicel's messed up Home 4G (for my area)! I can't stand visiting family in the US and have to come back home! ARGHHH.

And this article gave me a headache...sigh...Jamaica...wasted.
    Nuh tek it to heart bro... But I agree with you... I feel the same way wen i am on vacation in JA and I have to resort to using a connection less than 10% of what I have here lol

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Paree, when mi read mi feel like seh somebody kick mi... especially when mi si YouTube a buffer fi a 1:08s video @ 360P
    Buffering is the worse thing known to man lol... once i see that it starts buffering I just download it with Internet Download Manager and watch and delete. Does it much quicker than letting it buffer.

Don't even remind me about BUFFERING Youtube videos in 2013. To be fair though the 4G on my smartphone performs MUCH better than the home service. I've had 8-10MBs consistently. Shame otherwise for the HOME SERVICE.
    Thats a shame and a half... and definitely says something about the quality of home connections.

Yuh si all that now! Yuh phone 'mobile' internet connect more consistent than the 'fixed' home modem. That just sound counter-intuitive.

If i had a 8-10MBs connection at home i would cry tears of joy (i have struggled so long with this <4MBs).
    I have had times were my mobile connection beats the fixed connection available at that time..

lol... if your connection takes more than 1 second to load you have a problem lol.. rather more than 500ms

Quote Originally Posted by nove1398 View Post
    lol so true man, I would give dial-up a try again still just to compare google loading
    lol... dial-up connections are still offered here in the US on a wide scale.. it would take a while to load lol

Back in Napster days, I was paying $5,000 for dial up so seeing that same $5,000 can pay for 2Gbps gets me upset. Who remember when it took hours to download a song?
    and the price could still be lower... Oh yea remember those days yes lol... then DSL came along ... 256kbps lol

Who remember when you were going to burn those songs to a CD, you would set it to start burn, guh play some football and hope seh it finish burn when yuh come back?
    those burners were so damn slow but at least with those you rarely got coasters when burning cds

The discussion going off-topic far every now and again still. In any case let me do some bashing. And most if not all of my post going be off-topic.

Jamaica is a third world country not only because of our economy but because of our people. IMO - we need someone like Castro to come and throw out every single person out of parliament and run the country. If someone here knows of a politician who is actually for the country then power to them. From what I've seen absolutely none of them care about anything rather than lining their pockets. Throw some marl into potholes close to election or b*tch it up then likkle rain wash it out few weeks (months if you lucky) down the line. Ever see the way our leaders argue in parliament? Not even street urchins or market women stay so.

The people are another set entirely. We all want the luxuries that the first world countries excrete and we gobble up their filth quickly. Speaking for myself - if I go to the market, supermarket, corner store or anywhere to buy anything - if I see it MADE IN JAMAICA or done by a Jamaican company (though they outsource at times....) I will buy it over the foreign things. Build Jamaica with that.

As a somewhat patriotic person I believe we have the best of everything. Why the backside we import things like JACK FRUIT and WATER? Going a step further (and somewhat back on-topic) why we have to import PEOPLE? By this I mean - you in your company and there are perfectly capable and experienced persons in the field, yet persons from overseas are "imported" to do the job because they have the "credentials"........I not knocking the fact that some of the persons we "import" know their stuff, but why not send over someone for training and let them be an asset to the company? Or train the department?

The companies that have come here and literally raped the country don't care about the people - they care about their pockets. Much like our politicians. So they come in, buy a license, make their money then continue to rape the country. CWJ is a prime example. We can go on and on about the change of rates and the age of the technology that they used when they had the infrastructure, resources and ability to do better - but why bother when we can charge the same for significantly less service?

The fact is that people on a whole - not just Jamaicans - don't really care about quality but are more concerned with quantity. Wish I knew how to equate it to something tech related but I can't............aside from the fact that we've won various awards - Imagine Cup among other things - in the tech department. The fact that the gamers we have here are world class but get no exposure because it costs money for us to travel to competitions. But on the quality/quantity - take a 10 mm piece of local ginger and compare it to TWO from any other country. I dare you to tell me that the two from the other country together have more flavor than the 10 mm piece of ours.

We want more internet but not willing to pay for it. We want more of everything tech and otherwise related but we don't want to pay for it. Everyone wants things free - not cheap, but free. We're not appreciative of the fact that we have many things easier than these "first world" countries and that getting to be more like them things will be much easier and much harder. Easier because in the tech arena things like number portability will be in effect - due to actually USING the tech available theft would be forcefully reduced (of mobile devices), but harder because they may start the same foolishness they have/had overseas where you pay for outgoing and incoming calls.

Let me end the rant by going back on topic......I going quote some stuff and edit the post.....

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    those burners were so damn slow but at least with those you rarely got coasters when burning cds
    Even today when burning is being done I burn at the slowest speed because it helps when reading back the data. Ever notice the number of rings when you burn fast? It doesn't keep the speed you set it at - it gets progressively faster towards the outside. Makes it harder to be read in some devices too - and more likely to fail earlier with wear.

Where speeds are concerned - we never going see those prices for half those speeds. Not in my lifetime I think. We'll see.

While the technology is there the sad part (to me) is that LIME is coming with the better thing. FTTH. Once that rolls out (depending on pricing) I wonder what FLOW going do? They have it too, but it's the "direct fiber service" for business only...
    Last edited by khat17; Apr 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".