Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'World's fastest' home internet service hits Japan, 2 Gbps down

Default 'World's fastest' home internet service hits Japan, 2 Gbps down

Google Fiber might be making waves with its 1Gbps speeds, but it's no match for what's being hailed as the world's fastest commercially-provided home internet service: Nuro. Launched in Japan yesterday by Sony-supported ISP So-net, the fiber connection pulls down data at 2 Gbps, and sends it up at 1 Gbps. An optical network unit (ONU) given to Nuro customers comes outfitted with three Gigabit ethernet ports and supports 450 Mbps over 802.11 a/b/g/n.
    Read more: http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/16/w...n-sony-so-net/

I had to post this piece of ____________ here, considering the last 2 new forum threads before this. My internet speed is 4.0Mbps down and the government is launching a "broadband" network.
    Then i see this news article... its almost like Jamaica is using 'cup and string' and Japan is using lasers.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Apr 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added quote tag
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

this so reminds me of the National Lambda Rail..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_LambdaRail

Pity wouldn't be able to maximize this at all until websites up their pipe sizes

Nice nonetheless....

Jamaica is way way way way way behind

Jamaica is so far behind we can't even see Japan again, in fact i don't think we even got of the line at GO!

And this Japan, a country that had it so bad after WWII but look at them now. And Jamaica still trying to recover from the 1980 general elections
    1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (OC'd.) / Intel P4 (478) Motherboard / 800MHz DDR / 256 Mb DDR RAM / 40GB Seagate / RIVA TNT2 Pro 32MB / 24X12X24 Sony CDRW+ / 18" View Sonic CRT / Windows ME Yes it will play Doom... i plan on trying Crysis 3 one of these days.

My head hurts trying to think about this.
    Can the internet handle these speeds? I mean, you can only download as fast as the server that is hosting the content can dish it out.

But at those speeds, you can run your own small ISP. lol
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

LOL download the new browser plugin> right click>Download Internet

wtf domestic ppl doing with that speed...universities not even have that

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    My head hurts trying to think about this.
    Can the internet handle these speeds? I mean, you can only download as fast as the server that is hosting the content can dish it out.

But at those speeds, you can run your own small ISP. lol
    i remember reading an interview with someone who has Google Fibre and how he described it is this... its like you have a water main coming from your house that is going to connect to a regular water pipe on the road.

I remember back in 2000 i was so amazed when a friend of mine had "DSL" with its 512Kbps speeds and we were still dialing-up at 40-56 Kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by gW33Zy View Post
    Jamaica is so far behind we can't even see Japan again, in fact i don't think we even got of the line at GO!

And this Japan, a country that had it so bad after WWII but look at them now. And Jamaica still trying to recover from the 1980 general elections
    Why are we comparing a third world country to a first world economy .If FLOW/LIME offered a 2gbps could you afford it .lets fully utilize our 10Mbps before start complaining .Question what do you primarily use your internet for ?.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr View Post
    Why are we comparing a third world country to a first world economy .If FLOW/LIME offered a 2gbps could you afford it .lets fully utilize our 10Mbps before start complaining .Question what do you primarily use your internet for ?.
    Don't think he is comparing, but more so pointing out that Jamaica is behind in a lot of things... When it should be far ahead compared to other places

lets fully utilize our 10Mbps before start complaining .Question what do you primarily use your internet for ?.
    LOL My bandwidth be screaming....even when i had 20mb i still exhausted it... Me and my bro live together....We Both have Laptops that are constantly downloading stuff...not to mention my little torrent box stream movies, Online games,

Long story short some major downloading takes place at my home- try downloading 1500GBs of media per week and see how well your 10MB works out and im sure im not the only one who does that

What is 10Mbps to a average internet savvy household?
    I think i use half of that in just corresponding through emails with clients on a daily basis. What about Hulu, Netflix, uTorrent, Mediafire? I gots to keep up with my Game of Thrones episodes

-off topic- BTW the crutch that Jamaica(ns) use to say we are a 3rd world country doesn't really cut it, after WWII, Japan wasn't on any 3-2-1 scale. At the rate they develop, if there wasn't any WWII, they probably would have colonized the moon by now... while we still searching for low income housing solutions. -off topic-
    Last edited by gW33Zy; Apr 16, 2013 at 01:56 PM.