Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copy.com FREE 5gb Online Storage (Dropbox Alternative)

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    As with a local backup, its much more susceptible to loss by theft, fire, water, loss etc
    I think that is a scare tactic used by these guys to gain business. I've had cds, dvds & hard drives since 1999 and they are perfectly fine. After the whole megauplaod thing, I'm not too quick to upload a non-business file to any of these "cloud" sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ruption View Post
    Cloud storage is "literally" portable. Your information is available wherever there is an internet connect.
    I dont wish to be walking around the place with an SSD.
    Why not walk around with a USB Flash Drive then? it would be portable & private.

I'm not sold on "cloud" hosting.

For business purposes, I think it's ok but personal? nope.

Quote Originally Posted by techmenace View Post
    I think that is a scare tactic used by these guys to gain business. I've had cds, dvds & hard drives since 1999 and they are perfectly fine. After the whole megauplaod thing, I'm not too quick to upload a non-business file to any of these "cloud" sites.

Why not walk around with a USB Flash Drive then? it would be portable & private.

I'm not sold on "cloud" hosting.

For business purposes, I think it's ok but personal? nope.
    Not really a scare tactic... external enclosures that are water and fireproof are available for purchase. The durability of the off-line storage mediums is not being questioned, however unlike on-line storage once you have an INTERNET connection your data is accessible unless you delete or some drastic incident takes part on the clouds side (which would be unlikely cuz of redundant servers). With off-line storage unless you have multiple backups in different places, one incident can result in complete loss.

Nothing is wrong with cloud storage as long as yo know how to use it and protect your files. Walking around with a flash drive that has a backup of your important data is backwards if you ask me and is the same as walking with an SSD, your exposing your data to unnecessary risks. Back it up and store it in a safe location that is within the storage recommendations of the manufacturer.

I would say more for business use than personal use. The issue a lot of people seem to not realize about cloud storage is that if you store stuff in the cloud, you should be responsible with what you put there and implement additional steps to protect it. ENCRYPT YOUR DATA or just don't store highly sensitive data their.

I only use my cloud accounts to store stuff that i would like to be accessible across my devices mainly - documents (assignments, tests etc), small copies of software, product keys etc. Only thing personal for me on the cloud is pictures synced via drop box from my phone, so i have an ongoing bkup of my photos. Each time i take a pic it gets uploaded to all my pcs for backup.

If i need to take a picture of a sensitive subject, i just turn off the feature and take the photo and move it to my secure vault, never sees the cloud.