Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Broken

Exclamation Windows XP Broken

A friend of mine has a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows XP SP2 installed. A few days ago IE has just been loading blank pages - completely blank with nothing in the address bar or page. Not even an "Error 404 - Page Not Found" comes up. Also Norton 2005 System Works has stopped functioning. She said that the only thing she did was to install MSN messenger 7 and she has since removed it. On startup and error "msnappau.exe - Application Error" comes up. Did a search on google and discovered that it was because of the MSN Toolbar that comes with MSN messenger 7. However attempts to remove the toolbar in the Add/Remove programs fails. No error message.

[I apologise if this is too long. Just trying to avoid the obvious questions.]

System Restore doesn't work. The microsoft management console also doesn't work.

Thinking a virus had been the cause I got out my toolbox consisting of Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. Ad-Aware and Spybot found over a hundred spy/adware and removed them all. AVG found 2 Trojans and removed them. I made sure to do full system scans about 3 times to make sure all was detected. Still no luck .

Searches on the web mentioned some "about:blank" virus - the symptoms were similar. However after delving through all the instructions, registry entries and removal tools it proved to be otherwise.

I installed Firefox to see if that would work and guess what - it did. There seems to be some major registry corruption with XP. I even tried re-installing SP2 but that didn't help either. I'm just short of reformatting/re-installing XP which I really didn't want to do.

So any other tips before I format the drive?
    OS X/Ubuntu

Have you uninstall and reinstall IE?

Quote Originally Posted by juba
    Have you uninstall and reinstall IE?
    Since IE6 is part of SP2 I just re-installed SP2. IE6 with SP2 seems to be a bit akward to remove.
    OS X/Ubuntu

Have u tried re installing msn messenger 7 and then choose the option to fix a previous install or just installing the application again then uncheck the option for the msn toolbar.

Also was it msn 7 beta or final release??
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Quote Originally Posted by digerati
    Since IE6 is part of SP2 I just re-installed SP2. IE6 with SP2 seems to be a bit akward to remove.
    I think its best to use Add/Remove Programs to remove IE, then reinstall it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiTcHiE
    Have u tried re installing msn messenger 7 and then choose the option to fix a previous install or just installing the application again then uncheck the option for the msn toolbar.

Also was it msn 7 beta or final release??
    Yes Mitch I tried that. It was the final release.

Quote Originally Posted by juba
    I think its best to use Add/Remove Programs to remove IE, then reinstall it.
    I just tried it in the Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components unchecked the IE box and it went through. Funny thing is IE is still there - it just removed it from the desktop. Another weird thing I noticed in the Add/Remove windows components. If you click IE the size required is 0.0mb

Did you reboot the machine

What is stopping u from reformating the drive?
    Saved programs/doc?
    The limits you are living with right now, in very aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions.
    And they are holding you back.
    You are capable of far more than you think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by jubba
    Did you reboot the machine
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Y@tta
    What is stopping u from reformating the drive?
    Saved programs/doc?
    No. I already backed up the data. I don't have the recovery CD that came with the laptop so I'd lose all the Sony Vaio specific software that came with it.