Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Technoboy's Sony Xperia Z Review

Thumbs up Technoboy's Sony Xperia Z Review

Hello everyone. I have finally received my Xperia Z. It was time to get rid of my aging Galaxy S III had it since July 2012. I will post updates whenever I make progress in the other posts reserved below.

My package:

What's inside?:

Handset, earphones, earbuds, charger, USB cable, documentation and luckily for me a charging dock!

Look and Feel:

The Lockscreen and the default home page

The power button, volume control and SIM Card slot on right while on left we have microSD and dock connectors

Unboxing Video:

Other:

After using the device for about a week I will post videos and other photos. I will cover the following:

1) Hardware and Software Tour
    2) Waterproof testing
    3) Photo samples

I think we have all read/seen many reviews online so I won't be as thorough but commenting on the key areas of interest to me. If you have any questions you may ask and I will answer as best as possible.
    Last edited by Technoboy; Mar 29, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Waterproof Test:

Last edited by Technoboy; Apr 8, 2013 at 07:53 PM.

Hardware & Software Tour

Sample photo gallery: http://s127.photobucket.com/user/Iri...mera%20Samples

Final Remarks

Is Sony finally ready to compete with the big boys? In short yes but with a few caveats. Sony has successfully crafted their best device to date both in terms of specifications and design. Though this isn't the highest specification available (that belongs to the Galaxy S4) it is still quite a capable handset delivering admirable performance.

Design: Slim but tough

What you get is a phone that is relatively lightweight for the size and slim while eschewing the typical plastic found in major competitors. The tempered glass may be a double edged sword though, as while it adds a level of class and premium to the Xperia brand it loses some of that grandeur by being easily smudged by fingerprints save only for the white model. The tempered glass from my estimation also contributes to the heat generated at the back of the handset just under the camera. The fully covered ports while a deal breaker for some brings the added benefit of the device being water and dust proof and this works as advertised. It is something to note that Sony managed to stick to the “slim is in” wave while managing to make this device “tough” and they get major points for that.

NXT: Stock with a little panache

Sony continues to gain the support of developers being one of the first to approve unlocked bootloaders on their devices. This makes it a developer's dream so you can be assured XDA-Developers already has dedicated Modders making masterful creations for the Xperia Z. Add to this the relatively stock-like experience and you get a really lightweight Android experience that many can appreciate. Sure, those HTC and Samsung fans may consider it bland but it certainly works. The theming and colours really makes it not so boring.

The device is generally really responsive so while not being Snapdragon 600 like other flagships this year it holds its own. The camera application does take just a bit longer than expected to load I suspect this is a bug which will get fixed in the next update. Sony's upgrade to the album, movie and music applications is a welcomed change from stock Android. They look really well thought out and compliments the 5” screen well. The addition of their Bravia Engine 2 for music and video along with audio enhancements give the device an added boost in the media playback department. Stamina mode really works as it should and helps to provide the none-replaceable battery some added juice good enough for a 48hr endurance result as conducted by GSM-Arena. It's a nifty idea that other makers can employ – easily.

Plus & Minuses

+ Exquisite design
    + Water & dust proof
    + Stock-like user experience
    + Stamina mode and other Sony specific software enhancements
    + Expandable memory
    + Responsive
    + Bravia 2 Engine
    - Heat issues
    - Camera could have been better
    - Poor placement of speaker and weak playback
    - Some bugs notably in camera launcher
    - Specifications still just behind the competition

What next?: I probably will give the Galaxy S4 a spin...sometime down the road.
    Last edited by Technoboy; Apr 8, 2013 at 07:55 PM.

nice - awaiting the video
    Phone: Nexus 4 | [ALL STOCK] | Powered by Digicel
    System: Asus Maximus V Gene | Core I5 3570K | CM Hyper 212 | 3x 4GB 1866MHz | GTX 670 FTW | Crucial M4 256 and WD Caviar Black 1TB & 640 GB | Asus 24x DVD RW | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair HX650

Nice video, I will await your review it's good when Jamaican do videos and share their thoughts. I have always only looked at HTC ans Samsung, so hearing about Sony should be interesting.

Zed not zee long time I don't hear zed, everyone I lecture and train at my company only say zee pure merican Jamaicans lol

Hmm tbh I'm guilty too my wife says
    Ryzen 7 3700x * RTX 2060 * 16gb DDR4 * MSI Mortar B550 Mboard
    https://www.healthtipsja.com My Wifes Website check it out.
    https://www.wehfia.com
    https://www.minimalis.bitrix24.site

That phone is pretty xpensive for hardware that's so-so on the latest front. Though that's sony for you in this phone thing. Quality phones all the same but I'd be greener if it was a HTC One.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Zed LOL. I didnt even hear that while I was in Jamaica.

I thee the out-thanding power button on the thide.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Ok so I haven't been totally brainwashed I still say Zed and I guess for Pezz Thed.
    Updates to follow...

I would be scared to water test it, especially after paying so much for it lol

You know I be joking. Its just my personality.

Be a great phone if it had usb otg.
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality