Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Surface RT Tablet Review/Unboxing

Was comparing this to the ASUS VivoTab RT recently...I have an Android tablet now and was thinking of a change...keep in mind my Android cost os sub $300...don't wanna go too far off.

Don't wanna spend too much it's just a tablet I may use sparingly (or will RT change that?). Cheapest I seen the ASUS for is $339 on Ebay...not sure Surface cost that little.

Edit: But with articles like this: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-Wi...ht-now_id42683 I wonder the viability of going RT.
    Last edited by Technoboy; May 6, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    Was comparing this to the ASUS VivoTab RT recently...I have an Android tablet now and was thinking of a change...keep in mind my Android cost os sub $300...don't wanna go too far off.

Don't wanna spend too much it's just a tablet I may use sparingly (or will RT change that?). Cheapest I seen the ASUS for is $339 on Ebay...not sure Surface cost that little.

Edit: But with articles like this: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-Wi...ht-now_id42683 I wonder the viability of going RT.
    It really depends on what you are looking for.

Comparing Android to RT:

1. Android has tons more applications by far
    2. Android has a bit more flexibility - custom roms tweaks etc same as you are used to on your mobile device
    3. Android devices are more popular so prices will be lower

With RT

1. You get a familiar UI
    2. No need for third party apps or workarounds to perform various tasks - mapping drives, browsing devices on your network etc
    3. Full version of Office 2013 Student - no need to learn a new word processing program or buy one or go looking for a good free alternative
    4. Same Windows experience you have on your desktop - so all your shorts, ways of accomplishing tasks still remain
    5. Same hardware as many android tablets - Tegra 3 Quad Core 1.3GHZ with 2GB of ram

The two major downfalls some ppl may find with Windows RT is the lack of apps (app store is growing still and other apps are being ported).

Some may argue that its Windows but it cannot run x86 applications - bullcrap - IT was NOT made to do so in the first place thats why the Surface Pro is there. RT is more for light work and those who want media on the go its not meant to be a laptop replacement. Also restricting the apps to those coded for ARm or from market store helps give the device a standard battery life of 8hrs under normal usage.

The RT was mainly poised as a competitor to Android Tablets and iPads and in some cases netbooks.

The other issue is PRICE... way too high to really compete with the more established community of Android and iOS

Last edited by King_Jay16; May 8, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Well you addressed RT but what about the Asus versus Surface?
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    Well you addressed RT but what about the Asus versus Surface?
    I have not tried the Asus version to the Surface. However, i will stop by a couple stores when I get the chance an get a feel for those.

However I like the Surface has some weight to it and is all aluminum so you have that premium feel to it
    Last edited by King_Jay16; May 8, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

If your going RT go Surface FULLSTOP no ifs buts or maybe. The build quality is better Microsoft keeps their devices up to date(firmware wise). Its fast and the kick stand is a nice addition
    Phenom II X4 955 (3.6Ghz), HD 4670(soon upgrade), AM2+ gigabit board, 4gb DDR2, cant afford any 3 yet....

Quote Originally Posted by -=KzR.Erasor=- View Post
    If your going RT go Surface FULLSTOP no ifs buts or maybe. The build quality is better Microsoft keeps their devices up to date(firmware wise). Its fast and the kick stand is a nice addition
    True Microsoft is more likely to keep their device updated as they are trying to market it more. They have pushed quite a bit of updates to it as well. Plus it gets many of the same updates a Windows 8 Machine does.

I think I need one soon.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Utech22 View Post
    I think I need one soon.
    Its a great device especially the RT, but with the RT one needs to keep their expectations real.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    Its a great device especially the RT, but with the RT one needs to keep their expectations real.
    How does this make sense boss?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality